68 Ghia WRX

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
dlamyle

Re: 68 Ghia WRX

Post by dlamyle »

KR250 wrote:How does the car handle with the EJ205 vs. the stock VW engine? Any noticeable changes due to the added weight?
How do the 215 series tires hold up for traction in 1st and 2nd gear?
Thanks KR250, I got a lot of motivation from others videos and builds so I'm glad I can return the favor.
I can't really compare handling because I changed so much of the suspension during the swap. Weight wise, I don't think the 100lbs? difference hurt anything my guess is it probably helps with traction and the radiator put some weight over the front wheels. I still have to be careful in corners if I'm in the power band since I haven't tested the limits on a track yet. And the acceleration is more like my R1 than the Bug I drove in high school. I have been feathering out the clutch to maintain traction in 1st and 2nd. I think I can fit some 235's in the rear so that will help. I'm not going to open my rear fenders because I like the overhang look but if you're building a track car I say go for it! I don't know what width makes the most sense with our short wheelbase but the power is there to spin them. I'm going to stick with a stock clutch and 235's max width to add a layer of protection to my trans.
Best of luck with your build!
1968 Karmann Ghia, JDM EJ205, Subarugears, OBX LSD, Blouch 16g XTR, Killer B Headers, DW 750cc, Meth Inj, Cobb AP w/Mach V 22psi Dyno tune (332whp)
Videos
Build Thread
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

ivwshane wrote:Can you provide the details when you do this mod? I want to do it too but I'm a visual learner;)
Here is what I did for the deck lid. You don't have to hide the solenoid in the fender but I wanted to keep it "clean" in the engine bay. Don't look at the rust!
I hate adding weight but this thing is cool and it pulls hard! If the battery dies I can reach under and push the latch over by hand. I your engine is sealed off you can drill a hole under the latch to pry it over with a screwdriver.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 Karmann Ghia, JDM EJ205, Subarugears, OBX LSD, Blouch 16g XTR, Killer B Headers, DW 750cc, Meth Inj, Cobb AP w/Mach V 22psi Dyno tune (332whp)
Videos
Build Thread
ivwshane

Post by ivwshane »

I don't know how I missed your reply! Thanks for the detail and photos!
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

That was a long winter...I managed to get a couple projects done on the Ghia in between diaper changes.
I pulled the trans to install the OBX diff and new clutch. Figured I'd clean it up and coat it with por15. The nose cone has regular paint on it and has already demonstrated the effects of clutch fluid on paint.

I also put in a power window kit to further annoy the purists. These are just the pics I happened to have on my phone. I failed to grab shots as I went along because I just can't bring myself to dig out my phone with dirty hands.

I was having trouble bleeding the brakes with my wife pumping for quite some time. I finally went back to the passenger side rear wheel and had her pump really fast and hold as hard as possible and on the third try we got bubbles! No more pre pumping at stop signs. Always check your assistant! The first time she helped me we couldn't build pressure and her leg got really tired. It was a good test for the clutch pedal though :shock: :shock: :shock: funny thing is she knows how to drive a manual car.

I won't have any reviews on the OBX for a while. I have to take it easy while the clutch is broken in. I'm still waiting for this motor to give up the ghost. I was driving without the firewall the other day and I could hear a bit more rod knock than last year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Videos
Build Thread
ivwshane

Post by ivwshane »

More info on your power windows please! I can't imagine you used a kit for the ghia because I've never seen one unless you did the power crankshaft handle one.
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

It's a universal kit made by SPAL. You can see it in the picture with my daughter at the wheel but here are a couple more shots and a video to show the speed and sound. Not sure what the loud clank at the end of this clip was. I think it just got by the lower limit somehow or broke it off. Hasn't made the noise again but now my window goes lower...
On a side note, some body tell me I'm crazy but I'm kinda digging that green under the red paint. With a white roof and my white wheels? That's not an original door to this car so I'm not sure what year its from. As far as paint goes, it's that green and Ford's grabber blue color on my short list.
http://youtu.be/10_dfd9Nls4
Videos
Build Thread
noslzzp

Post by noslzzp »

Love it! Where did you place the switches?
Introducing the Basilari 306R - '58 low light Ghia, 300HP+ boxer 6
http://basilari.com/
panel

Post by panel »

noslzzp wrote:Love it! Where did you place the switches?
Might be 2nd pic on the right side by the outlet ?
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

panel wrote:
noslzzp wrote:Love it! Where did you place the switches?
Might be 2nd pic on the right side by the outlet ?
That's the one. I already had the same switch in the dash on the opposite side running my old motorized intercooler scoop. I rewired that switch to run the driver's window and put the passenger switch in the same location on the other end of the dash. It wouldn't have been my first choice but I wanted to keep it in easy reach from both seats and avoid welding up my other hole.
I love it too noslzzp! I had nice looking billet aluminum cranks that worked decent but tended to work themselves loose. That and I never liked the idea of the set screws on the sides digging in the teeth of the shaft. There was some serious damage to the passenger's side so I had to epoxy the adapter gear to the shaft as an added measure.
Videos
Build Thread
ivwshane

Post by ivwshane »

Thanks! I've seen those kits but wasn't sure of the quality. But it looks like they work pretty well.
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

Not conversion related but here's the trunk solenoid mounted and wired. This is so much better then reaching way under the passenger side to hit the release. If my cable pulled from the other direction there is a good spot for the solenoid right next to the latch. The washer reservoir is in the way on this girl. I may order the other latch in the future if this set up fails. Works great right now but i feel like the plastic wire housing may wear through being pulled at the installed angle with the speed and force this solenoid exerts.
Videos
Build Thread
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

They finally put up my dyno run video over at Mach V Motorsports. Turn up your volume all the way!

Videos
Build Thread
Bonemaro

Post by Bonemaro »

Noice...
Jim
My 1973 Karmann Ghia---> http://www.73ghia.com
noslzzp

Post by noslzzp »

schweet!!
Introducing the Basilari 306R - '58 low light Ghia, 300HP+ boxer 6
http://basilari.com/
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

I decided to do something about my clutch pedal since I did not have full confidence in the original pedal arm holding up to the increased load from the hydraulic master. I needed more adjustability in my brake biasing as well. This wilwood pedal assembly should to the trick! I had to do some serious cutting to clearance the unit but I don't think the structure is compromised too much...I hope. I just won't put jack stands under that corner anymore. I still have some finish grinding and welding to do to close it up but here is the test fit. When I do my pan off resto I will get it reinforced, welded and sealed properly. I'll let you guys know if my car folds in half like a taco before then.
Videos
Build Thread