68 Ghia WRX

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
Bonemaro

Re: 68 Ghia WRX

Post by Bonemaro »

Nice. My Walbro is loud.
Jim
My 1973 Karmann Ghia---> http://www.73ghia.com
noslzzp

Post by noslzzp »

dlamyle wrote:I just want to say a quick thanks to ttriebler at Subarugears. I was a little worried about my transmission holding power before putting in their reversed ring and pinion. So after I clearanced the case and put it together myself, I was even more concerned. After seeing this trans perform on the dyno, I am thoroughly convinced this conversion has no ill effects on transmission strength.
Thanks Todd, Great product!
This is encouraging. You're at the top of the list in terms of HP so it's good to see some successful real world testing. Congrats on your numbers!!
Introducing the Basilari 306R - '58 low light Ghia, 300HP+ boxer 6
http://basilari.com/
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

noslzzp wrote:
dlamyle wrote:I just want to say a quick thanks to ttriebler at Subarugears. I was a little worried about my transmission holding power before putting in their reversed ring and pinion. So after I clearanced the case and put it together myself, I was even more concerned. After seeing this trans perform on the dyno, I am thoroughly convinced this conversion has no ill effects on transmission strength.
Thanks Todd, Great product!
This is encouraging. You're at the top of the list in terms of HP so it's good to see some successful real world testing. Congrats on your numbers!!
I LOVE reading feedback like this - makes it all worth it, thanks for the praise. Any chance you could email me pics of your build so I could feature it on the Subarugears website and Facebook page?

Does this mean the emails from random people asking 'will your trans hold 8,700 hp from my fully bombed ej25 turbo' will stop? :D
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

ttriebler wrote:Any chance you could email me pics of your build so I could feature it on the Subarugears website and Facebook page?
Sure! I'll snap some pics after I clean up the engine compartment a bit.

Here's a video of a little boosting around. I wish that clacking sound at the begining was piston slap but I fear its rod knock. Engine had 160k when I installed it and made the same noise before, during and after the tune (Shop said it sounded like rod knock and had some issues tuning around it). You can only hear it as I begin to accelerate then its gone or drowned out. It does fade when the engine is fully warmed. Think I will just run it till it goes pop. I have my EJ22T torn down and I am taking the case to a shop for prep work today. I don't need the extra cc's but it will give me a bit more torque for off boost driving and quicker spool up. Just some extra icing on my cake I guess. I'll detail the short block build here.

The Butt dyno says...
http://youtu.be/20NX9iT27BQ
1968 Karmann Ghia, JDM EJ205, Subarugears, OBX LSD, Blouch 16g XTR, Killer B Headers, DW 750cc, Meth Inj, Cobb AP w/Mach V 22psi Dyno tune (332whp)
Videos
Build Thread
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Can't watch the video...youtube says it's set to private...
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

Fixed the video

The fuel tank modification I did is hitting a tie rod. I have an adjustable beam now but I'll have to switch over to dropped spindles to get more clearance from the linkage. I feel like I'm playing whack a mole!

Next little project is to get rid of the cables for the hood and deck lid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 Karmann Ghia, JDM EJ205, Subarugears, OBX LSD, Blouch 16g XTR, Killer B Headers, DW 750cc, Meth Inj, Cobb AP w/Mach V 22psi Dyno tune (332whp)
Videos
Build Thread
panel

Post by panel »

Too bad there is all that wind noise :cry:
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
ivwshane

Post by ivwshane »

dlamyle wrote:
Next little project is to get rid of the cables for the hood and deck lid.
Can you provide the details when you do this mod? I want to do it too but I'm a visual learner;)

Nice vid! I love to see acceleration like that from a ghia:D
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

panel wrote:Too bad there is all that wind noise :cry:
Side effect of speed...Get used to it, once your conversion is done, you'll be able to go over 60mph too! :wink:
I'll see if I can mount the camera out of the wind in the next video.
Videos
Build Thread
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

The video was very cool. Pardon my ignorance, I have a couple of questions about the camera you used. Is it a go pro or similar? How does it mount on the car? Also, can an external mic be added so the mic could be out of the wind?
dlamyle

Post by dlamyle »

The camera mounted outside that day was just an old JVC Everio on a Ram-mount suctioned to the quarter window. No option for an external mic on the old ones but I think the new ones have it. I use a JVC Adixxion cam inside the car in a couple of the vids which is similar to the go-pro cameras.
Here's the Adixxion on the same mount
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Videos
Build Thread
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Very cool, thank you for posting this.
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Loving the chirp into second :-)
noslzzp

Post by noslzzp »

ttriebler wrote:Loving the chirp into second :-)
and third!.. ;)
Introducing the Basilari 306R - '58 low light Ghia, 300HP+ boxer 6
http://basilari.com/
KR250

Post by KR250 »

Great videos, it's encouraging to seeing a completed swap driving around. Looks like a blast. I have a few questions if you don't mind:

How does the car handle with the EJ205 vs. the stock VW engine? Any noticeable changes due to the added weight?

How do the 215 series tires hold up for traction in 1st and 2nd gear? I'm trying to figure out what I want to run and planning to flare the fenders and go wide, but only if needed.

Thanks!