EJ18 in a ‘69 standard

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
petew

Re: EJ18 in a ‘69 standard

Post by petew »

^ Amen!

Don't stress about it too much. But yeah, glass tape holds the water in when it gets wet and makes everything hotter. It's ok if it's ceramic coated, but otherwise it makes it worse.
joelzy

Post by joelzy »

Ahh makes sense, thanks
Took a quick cold start clip for you guys
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/LMegcylRz4M[/BBvideo]
Curious why the idle may be staying high since hooking up the O2 sensor. Ran it for about 5-7 minutes and it never really settled down to the normal idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by joelzy on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

Maybe your throttle body is a little open?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Turbo!
petew

Post by petew »

That sounds good. Very volkswagenny... if that's a word. :)

Re the idle, the idle motor is adjustable. You can loosen the screws and turn it till it's where you want it. That will help.
joelzy

EJ18 in a ‘69 standard

Post by joelzy »

Thanks guys, at first i was a little sad about losing the subaru rumble but it definitely sounds good and smooth.

Thought it was weird that the idle only changed with the O2 being added. Going to drive it again soon and see if it’ll idle down on its own after a real warm up but i’ll check the TB too

turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

If u want that rumble back get an un equal length header

Turbo!
joelzy

Post by joelzy »

turboedbug wrote:If u want that rumble back get an un equal length header

Yeah that is kind of the plan for the second version

turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

How ya liking that welder? I am still waiting on mine.....ordered the 221sti from everlast and ya still waiting.

Turbo!
joelzy

Post by joelzy »

turboedbug wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:25 pm How ya liking that welder? I am still waiting on mine.....ordered the 221sti from everlast and ya still waiting.

Oh nice!
I'm liking it a lot, got some gas lenses and different tungsten to try out as well as a couple different fillers. I can do alright with it until i try to weld on the car's sheet metal but its no fault of the welder itself. I'm just a noob
Any raw mild steel i've pulled to weld is cooperating very well though and up next i'll be trying to make a radiator overflow out of some aluminum :D

also need to train myself on the pedal more. been using the trigger but not having flow control is hurting me on the sheet metal for sure.
joelzy

EJ18 in a ‘69 standard

Post by joelzy »

Took her out for a fill up and some errands and was very pleased with how she did. Still idling high so im going to adjust that but great otherwise. Kind of hard to get used to starting in first without chirpin it but second is great and it idles at 25-30 mph with the current idle rpm.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/RrLg6XWlOBc[/BBvideo]
Last edited by joelzy on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
petew

Post by petew »

Sounds great. Like a nicely worked VW. You'll keep 'em guessing! BTW, you need a narrower front beam. ;)

P.s. that wasn't the sump scraping was it?
joelzy

Post by joelzy »

thanks man, I'm digging it so far. The tires already drag on the inner fender well haha let me get that sorted before we talk about narrower.

Pretty sure that sound was the rear beam clanking. seems to bottom out on any little dip and even under acceleration. need to address that soon
panel

Post by panel »

Aw that's sweet! Wonder if the IAC valve is maybe hooked up wrong causing the vacuum leak and high idle ?

This vid the idle seems low.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY9SjBtqUVc
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
joelzy

Post by joelzy »

Figured it out!!! Thanks for the help guys!
Adjusted the TPS and it was kind of pulsing at idle still but more calmly. Fiddled with the spring-loaded Cable attachment on the TB and figured out that it wasn’t recoiling the whole way back. Just need to figure out why and probably clean everything just in case.

petew

Post by petew »

joelzy wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:42 am thanks man, I'm digging it so far. The tires already drag on the inner fender well haha let me get that sorted before we talk about narrower.

Pretty sure that sound was the rear beam clanking. seems to bottom out on any little dip and even under acceleration. need to address that soon
I was kidding... :shock: Not a huge fan of the whole narrowing craze. Looks good, but otherwise not great. Still, I guess these guys got it right...

http://www.deltawingracing.com/2016-lon ... ns-at-cota