torque specs for KEP adapter plate, flywheel, etc...

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
ryans88gt

torque specs for KEP adapter plate, flywheel, etc...

Post by ryans88gt »

Anyone have torque specs for the KEP adapter plate, flywheel, clutch pressure plate? Trans to adapter studs/nuts?

I torqued the adapter plate down to 45 ft-lbs. Didn't feel like any more than that was a good idea in the aluminum block.

Thanks in advance for any help.
GS guy

Re: torque specs for KEP adapter plate, flywheel, etc...

Post by GS guy »

Ryans88gt,
A quick look in my KEP adapter kit instructions specifies the adapter plate to engine at 29-35 ft-lbs, and flywheel to engine at 51-55ft-lbs. It states specifically the flywheel bolts will stretch if torque exceed 60 ft-lbs. They didn't seem to provide any PP bolt torque values - suppose these might be stock VW values (200mm flywheel) or similar?
It says 40ft-lbs max for the trans to adapter bolts, so I suppose around 35-38ft-lbs should be fine.
ryans88gt

Post by ryans88gt »

instructions would have been great... Thanks!

Edit... my pressure plate did actually come with instructions and had a recommended torque spec of 25-30 ft lbs
Hegel

Post by Hegel »

these were the only instructions i could find when i was installing mine so they are what i used

http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/v/vsp ... rplate.pdf
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Ryan, asking before doing is a great idea.

I have had to talk to KEP at least once on the adapter kit I bought from them (adapter, flywheel, starter and fasteners) and the tech was very nice. It is not uncommon for requrements to change; e.g., in my case, after talking a bit the tech said... "Oh, you have one of our older kits" then gave me different information on what I was trying to do. It never hurts to talk to them when in doubt.

I also had an occasion to talk to ARP about something having to do with studs. They couldn't help me but my request to them (and others?) was taken into consideration as installation instructions were added to the kit. Again, the tech was very nice, listened and gave advice.

Fasteners clamp things together and their hardness, torque and take into considerations of any limitations of what they are clamping together which can make a difference in the specs they put into the kit. A kit for one thing can have a difference in the specs they give for another thing.

Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than you paid for it.