fuel pump not kicking on

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
Hegel

fuel pump not kicking on

Post by Hegel »

1997 legacy donor. Got to the point where i was testing the harness. plugged in all sensors and the 3 connectors on the back of the motor. applied 12v to the red power wire and power to the yellow keyed power wire. the main relay clicks but the fuel pump relay does not. someone on facebook said that some systems only operate the pump when the motor is kicking over. the ecu pinout i have for the 1997 shows that it will apply voltage for 4 seconds then nothing if no rotation is detected. just wondering what conditions need to be met for the ecu to send power to the pump.

1997 legacy ej22 motor/harness came from a running car.
Piledriver

Re: fuel pump not kicking on

Post by Piledriver »

It needs so see pulses from the crank sensor or distributor as applicable to stay on.
Bosch CIS injection even came with a fuel pump relay that worked the same way.
It was the only "electronic" part of the original systems aside from a couple heaters operating bimetal spings.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
david58

Post by david58 »

Needs to see ground too.
Hegel

Post by Hegel »

shoot. I just went through the entire ground pinout on the ecu and they are all hooked up. also tried checking the output while the engine turns over. no dice. I decided to send the harness and ecm out to be verified because i could spend days trying to figure out something that they can find in no time.