VW Syncro with reduction subaru gearbox project

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
KarmannRocket

VW Syncro with reduction subaru gearbox project

Post by KarmannRocket »

Hi everyone.
Have started a VW Syncro conversion.
I am in the last part of fitting a reduction box to fit to a Subaru box.
My idea is that the Subaru gearbox is cheap and almost the same dimensions as a Syncro Box.
But it spins different direction and gearing is too tall for off-roading.
So my solution is a reduction box fitted to them.
I'm at the stage off putting the reduction together and mounting it.
That is 4 reduction boxes one for each axle, to my Syncro which has a Subaru motor fitted.
Also l sourced a Hi-Lo ratio 4.44 Gearbox for this project.
Hopefully next month my van will come into the workshop to be fitted.
Please respond with any interest
Thanks
busyguyfish

Re: VW Syncro with reduction subaru gearbox project

Post by busyguyfish »

Do you have any pic's or more info? Thanks

Steve

Post by 883 »

Have you looked into the subarugears reverse cut ring and pinion? http://www.subarugears.com/

They have a variety of ratios and it might save you a lot of work, expense, and un-sprung weight of fitting redux boxes on all four corners.
No plan survives contact with the enemy.
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Todd from Subarugears here. I looked into all that when I first wanted to have a 5 speed Subaru transmission with a rear-mounted engine. The downsides to having reduction boxes with their weight and the weird things they do to the suspension under acceleration and braking were far outweighed by manufacturing the reverse-cut ring and pinion to reverse the drive of the 5 speed. We have many many units in the field with many happy customers over the years.

Also, the Subaru 5 speed will hit the transverse chassis beam on a Syncro chassis because it has it's AWD output at the top of the trans, rather than at the bottom of the trans like a Syncro. We now sell a Syncro add-on kit that moves the Subaru's AWD output to the lower part of the trans, clearing this chassis member and spinning the tailshaft in the same rotation as the Syncro's VW tailshaft. This also allows you to fit the rear Subaru r160 differential in the front and have it provide drive with the correct rotation for the front wheels to turn forward.