Karmann Ghia Subaru fuel system

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
JHHeiger

Karmann Ghia Subaru fuel system

Post by JHHeiger »

I'm doing early layout and planning for the installation of all the parts for my SubaruEJ25/KG engine swap.

Looking for installation tips for the fuel system. Am i using salvaged parts from my donor car or all new items?

Supply, return, and vent, right? Are you using the tunnel mounted tubing or new steel braided? What diameter?

Do i need to change or amend the tank? Recommended operating pressure? What am i missing?

thanks, J

PS We'll talk about exhaust systems soon, too.
sweetguth

Re: Karmann Ghia Subaru fuel system

Post by sweetguth »

i am working on the same thing but haven't got that far. Please post pics as you go!
billz60vw

Post by billz60vw »

for fuel line i bought a roll of steel tubing from ebay ($20) and than went to a hydraulic shop they put jic (aka an)ends on it for like $12.i bent it to how i wanted before going though.clamps with rubber protectors and bam fuel line done.what ever you can use off that donor will help keep some weight in you wallet and the wife off your back..
JHHeiger

Post by JHHeiger »

So you ran the new fuel line to the tank

3lines correct?
Did you change the tank in any way?
How about the fuel pump/regulator? Did you use an aftermarket model?

Post by 883 »

I've got SS hard line in stock Subaru sizes to run through the tunnel. It was pretty cheap from Summit. And a good excuse to buy a tubing bead roller for the ends for a stock-ish installation. A small 37 deg flaring kit is also pretty reasonable if you want to go with JIC fittings.

Saw a good thread somewhere of a guy modifying a stock VW tank to accept the Suby pump/sensor module. It was pretty slick. That's my plan, just not there yet either.
No plan survives contact with the enemy.
billz60vw

Post by billz60vw »

i did 2 lines suply and return. i just used a cb performance tee for the bottom of the tank, one side is return other side a short hose to a walbro fuel pump that was mounted to the front firewall a small pre filter than the line to the back with another filter behind battery on the outside.on the return a cb performance pressure regulator.
JHHeiger

Post by JHHeiger »

You make it sound easy
So you just wire the fuel pump to ignition
hot no need for relay
Braided steel fuel line. 1/4 or 3/8"?
What is the system pressure ?
Thanks again
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I strongly suggest a relay with its own fuse for the fuel pump, the ignition wire is often unfused (and frequently krispy) from the factory and not meant to supply that much current. Best to use it as a control signal.
The ECU typically controls the fuel pump in any case, via a relay. Use the one controlled by the ignition switch to power the ECU.

~same with the headlights, run another 12v feed off the battery to a secondary fuse panel and relays, using the factory setup for control lines...suddenly you will have ~2X as much light, by skipping the ignition switch, light switch, and lame factory fusebox. Makes a huge difference.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.