need EJ25 ecu and wiring

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
sweetguth

need EJ25 ecu and wiring

Post by sweetguth »

Guy,

I did the cardinal sin of buying a JDN EJ254 without the ECU or Harness. I am want to put it in a Manx clone but I am hold waiting for an ECU solution.

I called the local Subbie dealership and they said they could order an ecu and harness without the vehicle VIN number from which it came from. Is that really true? Would there be a VIN# stamped on the motor?

I was going to go with the factory ECU to save money as I wasn't worried about a pro tuned buggy for just driving around by the beach.

I am not that electronically inclined but I am wondering if it would just be easier and faster in the long run to buy something like a stinger ecu and harness or an equivalent.

Can anyone who has done the subbie swap tell me the best route to go to solve this dilemma? Any advice would be appreciated. I need an application for a retard like myself.
panel

Re: need EJ25 ecu and wiring

Post by panel »

Dear retard (just kidding :) ) You could try to go back to the JDM supplier you purchased the motor from and get them to send you the ECU and as much wiring as possible. Don't forget the MAF and anything else they never shipped. You'll need to know the year etc. You could also go the Megasquirt route if you don't want to go Stinger. Sounds like you should just get the ECU + harness for the year motor you have though.

This guy went stand alone...... viewtopic.php?f=19&t=146209

I'm also going stand alone MS after doing all the factory Subaru ECU stuff with my JDM motor.........viewtopic.php?f=19&t=141357&p=1241122#p1241122
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
jamesdkline

Re: need EJ25 ecu and wiring

Post by jamesdkline »

I went the Stinger ECU route with mine, running an EJ251. I got the Stinger, base tune and modified engine wiring harness from Outfront. Total cost was over $1,000. I did it because I got a deal on a low mileage motor with no ECU.

Would I do it again...maybe... Once it's running it does run just like any other factory car however it doesn't start as easily in all weather. It just cranks a little longer usually. The Stinger also doesn't have provisioning to deal with the Subaru IAC so you'll have to find a creative solution to that or do without. I am currently running a mechanical solution from an old BMW but it isn't optimal.

The pros are that it was SUPER easy to hook up and get running.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the Stinger route...

(Let me say that I do dream about building the EJ25 into a hybrid SOHC Turbo - if I ever do that the Stinger will be perfect rather than the stock ECU)