EZ30 in a Bug?

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
GS guy

Re: EZ30 in a Bug?

Post by GS guy »

Surf - your link I believe is the same one I referred to earlier in the thread. Unfortunately, the thread died a (few years ago) before finishing the build. It does do a pretty good job of showing one way to get the G50 trans in there, plus the much longer SVX-6. For reference, Mendeola uses a heavily clearanced and boxed back in section between the pickle fork to fit in the MD5 transaxle.

Here are a couple of pics of the EZ30 in a Bug, courtesy of Subarugears (showing you can pretty much stuff "any" Subaru engine in "any" VW!).

And another shot of an EJ block and 5-speed trans mock-up showing how the axles line up with the outer hubs using the Subarugears engine/trans mounts. You can see the output flanges are just "slightly" rearward of the outer hubs. I suppose one could shift the whole thing so the inners sit slightly forward of outers - but a lot of work (plus customized mounts) for a couple of inches! I like how Todd's mount uses the original Suby engine mounts, vs. Mendeola fitting VW style mounts at the transmission bellhousing. Looks like Todd's would help distribute the weight a little better vs. hanging everything off the back of the trans, VW style.

Jeff
petew

Re: EZ30 in a Bug?

Post by petew »

That ez looks very comfortable in there except, it leaves very little metal in the back of the car to cover the engine in some way. Exhausts, water pipes, wiring and the like have no where to go. Additionally, unless there's a comprehensive cage in the back of the car, all of the stiffness in the back of the body shell will have gone. It looks cool, but that's where it ends.