Bob's Boogie Bug Ecotec journey

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
brotherbob

Bob's Boogie Bug Ecotec journey

Post by brotherbob »

STF- Hey I'm BrotherBob and I've been building a 70's style Baja in the last few months.

So long story short , I went to a VW show and got inspired by a Ecotec baja. I jumped on the local pages and found a 2006 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 that was rode hard and put up wet. 109K miles, dirty, sitting on flats, hadn't ran in 9 months and had a dead miss. I picked it up for 400 bucks!
Plan is to make the Cobalt run properly first and then rape it for every part I can get for the Boogie Bug!

Been reading a bunch and would like your help and opinions along the way.

BB
brotherbob

Re: Bob's Boogie Bug Ecotec journey

Post by brotherbob »

he one that inspired me
My 2.2 Ecotec
The problem-
My Bug
brotherbob

Post by brotherbob »

A few months ago=Image
brotherbob

Post by brotherbob »

Can a type 1 IRS stand up to a stock 2.2 Ecotec street driven? Those bus boxes have gotten expensive!
Thanks BB
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

As long as you aren't dumping the clutch and doing big burnouts with those rear tires it'll be fine.
Sandbar Norm

Post by Sandbar Norm »

Hello Bob,
Yes a type 1 trans will work for a while. Mine has lasted since 2010. It has started to leak lube so I'm in the process of changing to a 5 rib and a suspension upgrade. I don't do burnouts or speed shifting. I think that over time the Ecotec is a little to much for a stock t1 trans.
brotherbob

Post by brotherbob »

Sandbar Norm wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:15 am Hello Bob,
Yes a type 1 trans will work for a while. Mine has lasted since 2010. It has started to leak lube so I'm in the process of changing to a 5 rib and a suspension upgrade. I don't do burnouts or speed shifting. I think that over time the Ecotec is a little to much for a stock t1 trans.
Hi NORM!

Well I bit the bullet and found a 002 3 rib for 250 bucks! So I bought it.

Next is that damn expensive adapter plate for 2.2 Eco to 002 trans!

Stay tuned and I'd love to hear about the Eco rail build!

BB
brotherbob

Post by brotherbob »

The Ecotec is repaired and out!
Got more poop to get but I'm getting there!
Stay tuned and please comment , provide input....I'm just a 50 year old VW burn out trying to get to h2o powered.
brotherbob

Post by brotherbob »

I have a 002 now and started the 10 degree mock up.
Ecotec here I come. Next to buy that adapter and harness mod. Anybody got an idea on who to purchase from? Phils?
Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
petew

Post by petew »

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but... if it were me, I'd mount the engine and transmission east/west in the back of the car. I know it's a lot more surgery, but the stock trans would be up to the power. Aside of a subaru trans (which are expensive), everything else you've suggested will be weaker.
brotherbob

Post by brotherbob »

Your right Pete!
However I am committed or should be committed , but I'm moving forward with the 002 , 10 degree mount, 15 5/8 axles , bus and bug CV's......
I'm fabbing my radiator mounts now, thanks to SMHO for the ideas that confirmed my suspicions.
BB
Flintstone

Post by Flintstone »

Hey BrotherBob I just joined this site and am interested in the ecotec swap and came across your post. First let me say I love your baja with the big street tires. I have a 59 Baja and thought of doing the same thing with a 50 series tire. Second, I have a built 71 Baja that is caged and had a 1915 in it. This is the one I want to ecotec. How is progress with yours coming?