Fuel line options for a Subaru conversion

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
Evil_Fiz

Fuel line options for a Subaru conversion

Post by Evil_Fiz »

Since I don't understand all I know about that...
This is going into a 1970 Convertible Karmann Ghia.

I purchased 25' of 3/8" Nicop fuel line. I intend to run two lines inside the tunnel exiting at frame head-passenger side, and on the underside of the tunnel just forward of the transmission mount. I plan on using AN-6 firewall/bulkhead fittings. I would like to mount the fittings to removable plates for serviceability.

Questions:
- Are AN fittings my best choice?
- Does anyone make a mounting plate that will hold 2 AN-6 fittings or do I need to make one?
- Is there a better way to run the fuel lines?
- Does anyone have a "cookbook" with what fittings I need and how to best attach them?

Please forgive my ignorance on this subject,
Emil
maurice

Re: Fuel line options for a Subaru conversion

Post by maurice »

That sounds like a decent way to run them. Not sure about a plate, you may need to fabricate that yourself.
You could run hard lines through the tunnel with AN fittings too.

AN fittings are really nice to use, but they add up quickly. I just use barb fittings for now cause I was pretty broke when I first put the car together.

Attaching the line to the motor shouldn't need a fitting unless it's a newer style engine. However Subaru uses a 5/16 or an 8mm fuel line. A 3/8 will be too big, and you'll need to step it down.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

What Maurice said - how will you convert to AN at the engine? Outfront made (not sure about currently) some adapter fitting that bolt to the old style fuel rails, but not sure what's available for the FPR? Their new on-line catalog is missing most of their old Subaru swap products.
Also keep in mind most "AN" hose is not really barrier rated for current alcohol/additive containing fuels. Look for barrier/EFI hose if you can find it.
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

If u are looking for those AN fittings that outfront had available i have a set if your interested.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Turbo!
turboedbug

Post by turboedbug »

I am getting ready to run 2= 3/8" stainless lines.

Its not quite planned out yet.

Tossed the idea around using some 1/2" emt and placing both lines inside the conduit with some type of hose sections randomly placed the whole length to minimize vibration wear of the tubing

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Turbo!
billz60vw

Post by billz60vw »

I bought 20 feet of tubing on ebay and bended it how I wanted than took it to a hydraulic hose shop.they soldered some jic 6 fittings to the ends...jic and an fittings are the same and almost every town has a hydraulic hose shop..cost me $25 dollars including the fittings.
Evil_Fiz

Post by Evil_Fiz »

Minor update:

It has become evident that I will not be able to use a removable plate at the front. My new plan is to have the lines exit on the vertical, right side face of the frame head close to the napoleon hat. I plan to use rubber grommets for the pass-through and then build and weld a bracket to hold 2 AN/JIC straight firewall fittings.

While sitting back scratching my head on how to best make a removable plate for the rear exit, there it was, literally, in front of me. The front frame head cover is the ideal size, has a pre-made gasket available, and is nicely finished and reinforced. Shouldn't be too hard to source one either.

I will update this thread as I progress.

Cheers,
Emil