just picked up a 72 914! couple questions

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
bulli74

just picked up a 72 914! couple questions

Post by bulli74 »

Hey Everyone!
I thought i would introduce myself some on this board might know me from the type 4rum ive been on there in the past and have attended the last couple meets at Northwoods inn with my brother Tuna the forum moderator on the type 4rum.

Recently i picked up a 1972 914 1.7 and now im gonna be playing with a 914 i have years of experience with bugs and some with type 4 motors but not alot with 914's.
i have a couple questions.
Whats the best way to lower the front of it i have heard that you readjust the torsions and then ive heard about a screw that does it too.. which is it..or which is the best way.
it seems like the shifter has alot of slop do these bushing kits really work and what is the general concensus on short shift kits.
socalvws

Post by socalvws »

Looks like someone forgot to update their signature with the 914. :)
Bleyseng

Post by Bleyseng »

To adjust the front look a the end cap of the rear of the torsion bar. There is a hex (13mm) bolt pointing down and you just turn it to drop the front. Measure the front lifting pods to the floor to set both sides even.

The whole process should be done on a level concrete floor.

Check the back to make sure its even.

A 72 should be a tail shifter which has lots of little bushings that need replacing all the time. When new and adjusted right a tailshifter shifts ok.

Adding a short shifter just make it more vague in my opinion.
order the bushings from PelicanParts.com or HighPerformanceHouse in Redwood City, Calif
bulli74

Post by bulli74 »

Ok i updated my profile...

Thanks Bleyseng for the Info.

How much work is it to replace all those bushings for the shift linkage?

Also are the steering wheel splines the same as a VW or a Porsche?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Steering wheel spines are the same, and some Early rabbit (even 924 Porsche) parts fit in the column, like.. The windshield washer pump switch---Like, for a real washer pump.

(You havent LIVED unless your steering column has peed on your crotch just as you pull into work...)

I actually LIKE the 914 wheel. Leather wraps are cheap and effective...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

Pelican Parts has a 914 Tech Article on replacing the linkage bushings. It's not as easy as replacing your distributor cap, but it's not as tough as adjusting your valves...

--DD
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Dave_Darling wrote:Pelican Parts has a 914 Tech Article on replacing the linkage bushings. It's not as easy as replacing your distributor cap, but it's not as tough as adjusting your valves...

--DD
:twisted:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
bulli74

Post by bulli74 »

I like the stock wheel also but im 6'3" and the stock wheel is to big for me my legs are cramped with it so thats why i need to goto an aftermarket wheel.

thanks Dave for the reference to the tech article after looking at i it its do able .

valves..i cant even fathom how many times ive adjusted those throughout the years...

Any body got a good drivers door outside door handle they want to get rid of to a poor college student ...

Thanks
Chris
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

bulli74 wrote: valves..i cant even fathom how many times ive adjusted those throughout the years...
You have obviously not yet had the "pleasure" of adjusting them on your 914.
Fortunately a T4 tends to stay in adjustment somewhat better than T1s, from what I remember.

Engine and method is ~ the same, but...

You'll see. You will understand...

Hell, it would probably be easy if you were 100% double jointed, 3 feet tall with 8 foot arm reach, and tiny, strong hands. Extra elbows would help...

(Do it on a lift if you can )