ENGINES

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
rudgergt

ENGINES

Post by rudgergt »

Looking at the 914 World site there is a lot of talk about the Subaru engine using the subie trans along with all the subie clutch etc- has anyone here done the engine adaption?
there is also the usage of the raditor use in the enngine compartment so you don't lose the trunk(front) area- looks like the best engine conversion that I have seen
any info here on the conversion??
take care
ewic

Post by ewic »

There is a very recent article in Excellence magazine; June 2007 issue, page 114. Keith Wilson did an incredible clean conversion, installed a turbo-charge Subaru engine into a 914, and won "best in show" at Ventura's autofest 2006. That should get you going.
ewic

Post by ewic »

There are some interesting letters to the editor in the latest Excellence mag. These point out some of the downsides to installing a Subaru engine into a 914. For one thing, both trunks will be gone, or drastically reduced to the point of no room for a spare tire. Another letter points out that the Subaru engines are not that dependable. "... the track record for normally aspirated engines from 1998 on... is of blown head gaskets, cracked and knocking pistons and other problems." Writer says all auto companies have design problems, Porsche tries to fix theirs, Subaru has been pushing for extended warranties instead of trouble-shooting the issues. I can personally attest to a case of Subaru engine trouble - a leak down test on my wifes car, with 55,000 miles or so indicated that it needed new rings and/or new pistons, and/or new heads. To each his own, but I'm saving up for one of Jakes annhilators!!!!!!!! Build it, slap it in, and away you go. Might have to dish out some cash for bigger carbs and a trick exhaust, and scratch your head a few times to configure the valve-train geometry, but you know exactly what you are getting: rock n' roll.
pploco

Post by pploco »

For the money you can't beat a subaru for performance. You can buy japan motors all day long for 500 bucks that have less than 40K miles on them. It would take a lot of destroyed 500 dollar motors to equal one 10K motor.
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

One guy put the radiator at the front of the engine bay for his Scooby swap. I liked the look of that; he was able to keep the trunks un-cut!

Sadly, he got tired of people ragging him about the swap so he took the photos down. I thought it was super-clean!

--DD