Dipstick tube

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
pig-pen

Dipstick tube

Post by pig-pen »

hello all.

hope you can help. I have a 2.0 914 with a broken dipstick tube.

the previous owner has installed a flexible hose as a fix, which sticks out the top of the tinware, but I am not convinced about the length of this....

can anyone tell me how far a 914 dipstick tube sticks up over above the tinware?

Also I have a new tube on order... how do I install this? it seems like a bit of a nightmare to be honest...

thanks,

M
Piledriver

Re: Dipstick tube

Post by Piledriver »

The simplest fix would be to use a small block chevy V8 tube and dipstick, available at most auto parts stores in either straight or curved flavors for <$15.

This is commonly used in upright conversions, you drill a hole right where the 914 dipstick is, and press in with some green Locktite or JBWeld. The sump plate on the block allows access with a shop vac or such on the inside to vacuum/flush out any metal bits as you drill.

I will try and make a measurement of the stock dipstick tube tomorrow AM if you still decide to extract/replace the original tube.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Piledriver

Re: Dipstick tube

Post by Piledriver »

Sorry, I measured a few 914 dipstick tubes the other day. but forgot to reply.
I got just a hair over 6" top of tube to case.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.