gas pedal can pivot left and right?

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
Alan F

gas pedal can pivot left and right?

Post by Alan F »

Hi there:

New to the forum. Mentioned my 1975 1.8 in an earlier post. The car had been sitting in a garage for 12 years but seems to have resurrected admirably after caliper rebuilds and welding for a new battery tray (hell hole was otherwise fine). Not sure why the gas pedal assembly would have so much left and right play? Appears to have a rubbererized attachement to the floor pan and can pivot on the rubberized attachment, left and Right to some degree. Were these things designed to be able to have the pedal move L and R (to some degree)? Am I missing a part?? It works fine and accelerates as normal (and decelerates), just tends to be able to be moved L and R a whole lot more than any bug, or Karmann Ghia, or Vanagon I have ever owned. What gives?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Alan F on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc

Re: gas pedal can pivot left and right?

Post by Marc »

I think the rubberized part has given up the ghost. The same pedal was used on a bunch of Porsches (911/912 and 914), it's P/N 90142301000; Pelican sells 'em for $30 or so.
Alan F

Post by Alan F »

The rubberized piece is still attached at the floor, it just stretches/moves back and forth. Not sure how it's really attached (bolts/screws?). I suppose I could get another one. Does pelican provide the best prices/selection? I also need a clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing and Pelican seems a little steep compared to some suppliers on ebay (I'm comparing to my bug clutches, and vanagon clutches) but then Pelican's brake caliper rebuild kits were quite reasonable. Wondering if the clutches on these things are inherently more expensive than bugs? I also need new horn (s). Where do I get those?
Type 4 Unleashed

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

As to your gas pedal, there are 2 10mm bolts that hold it to the floor and the rod on the back side, and there is metal in the bend for support and strength of the pedal, the metal will rust away leaving only the ruber. Unbolt it from the floor and examine it.

And you can't compare Type 1 clutch assembly price's to Type lV assembly prices Type 1's are 200mm, Type lV's are 215mm and the throw out bearings are different $$, like anything else shop for the best prices.
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

Alan F wrote: Wondering if the clutches on these things are inherently more expensive than bugs?
Yes they are. Yes these little cars are glorified VWs that drive like a Porsche, but some of the parts are 100% Porsche and they are really proud of their stuff. :lol: If you ever have to go through your trans-axle, you'll know what Porsche parts cost. . . If you want it to really handle, look into a Tarrett sway bar and Koni Yellows at all 4 corners,. . . $$$$$ Worth every penny IMHO and WAY more $$$ than VW parts.

You gotta pay to play. . . 8)