Odometer sticking

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
Alan F

Odometer sticking

Post by Alan F »

Same 1.8 1975 (10/74). It shows 58,800 on odometer (acutal miles I think). Cherry car, very clean (see prev posts). Just noticed that trip odo was binding up at 799 and simultaneously, main odometer appears to be stuck at approx 58K (just stuck as I've been tracking miles for mpg estimates, etc). The trip odometer reset (dial under the dash) appears to be binding and doesn't want to turn either clockwise nor counter clockwise, nor push/pull, although it seems like the reset is turning motion (just says reset is under dash in owners manual). I've had plenty of bug and ghia odo/speedos rebuilt. Just wondering if this thing doesn't free up in the next few miles, who is a reputable company to send these odo/speedos to? Any connection with the trip resent binding? (in fairness, the odometer trip reset dial wouldn't turn (either direction) prior to the main odmeter and trip odometer sticking (so I'm not sure it's binding has anything to do with current state of stickiness of both odometers). Prior to the trip odometer trying to turn an even 800 (currently hung up at 799), both odos worked flawlessly (from what I could tell). Thanks for any ideas or info on who to send the odo/speedo to for rebuild.
Piledriver

Re: Odometer sticking

Post by Piledriver »

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticle ... repair.htm it's a ~universal issue.
T3 odometers basically have the same sort of problems, pressed on plastic/pot metal bits eventually spinning free.

There are reputable vendors that post there doing that service, amongst others, but many folk DIY.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
aircooledtechguy

Re: Odometer sticking

Post by aircooledtechguy »

I've had several Porsche and VW gauges repaired by Palo Alto Speedometer http://paspeedo.com/ (oddly in Palo Alto, CA :wink: ) They do a fantastic job, have reasonable rates and have a quick turn around (usually about 3 working days). You MUST down load the form, fill it out and include it with your speedo. They can also calibrate your speedo to your tire size and gearing. I had this done on my '75 914 since it always read about 10mph fast @ 70mph.

One quirk you must understand about the Porsche 914 speedos is that the car MUST BE AT A COMPLETE STOP when you re-set the trip odometer or you WILL break the gear inside. You cannot do it on the fly as you drive of it will stop working. I don't know what engineer dropped the ball on that one, but he should be slapped. :lol: