914 wheel options (not stock)

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
Woodendad

914 wheel options (not stock)

Post by Woodendad »

We are working on a 74 914. It has 78k showing and other than butchered wheel wells it's in nice shape. The current plan is to add flares and re-arch the fenders. We have been bouncing ideas around for wheels. It's sitting on steel sport wheels right now. I think later model Porsche wheels would look good and fill up the flares nicely. Does anyone have pics with twists or cups? Perhaps aftermarket wheels?
Thanks
Type 4 Unleashed

Re: 914 wheel options (not stock)

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

I was previously running 8&9 x16" Ronal R-9's but tire selection is not what it use to be, so I have gone to 17" Italian made Turbo Twists.

You can see the wheels here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=136849

I assume you are going 5 lug. What you have to watch out for are the wheel off sets on the Porsche wheels, my Ronals were I believe 15ET in the front & 11ET in the rear, the Turbo's are I believe 23ET fronts & 15ET rear, and the 255 rear tire has very little room under my flared fenders where my 245 were fine.

Wheel ET's of 40's, 50's & 60's require wheel spacers of up 2 to 3" and wheel studs to match, and get more expensive, so take that in mind when you are looking at wheels.
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

Type 4 Unleashed wrote:...so I have gone to 17" Italian made Turbo Twists...
Mille Miglia's? Those have a pretty bad rap
3 Wheels to Avoid At All Costs

1. Mille Miglia
Mille Miglia is mercifully out of business now, but many used sets do remain floating dangerously about. Avoid these – at the shop we call them “Milli Vanillias” because they're only pretending to be wheels. Mille Miglias are hands-down the softest alloy wheels I've ever seen, and they bend if you look at them wrong.
http://tires.about.com/od/buyers_guide/ ... Wheels.htm
Type 4 Unleashed

Thanks for the heads up, but it is the first I have heard of anyone one mentioning this.

These don't have Mille Miglia cast into the lip of the rims like others I have seen, they just have cast made in Italy on the back but no manufacturer.

I wonder if these are a cast or forged wheel ? The Ronals' are from the 80's and are a cast wheel and have held up quite well.
Richard

EMW

Chris V

Post by Chris V »

I found this post pertaining to wheel identification...
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/9 ... 6-p-n.html

I'm pretty certain they're all pressure-cast nowadays...some OEM wheels are hollow-spoked as well :shock: . Forged wheels like the old Fuchs are generally more desirable for hard-usage - stronger lb-for-lb and they can be 'straightened' in case they are un-straightened by accident. :wink:
Woodendad

Post by Woodendad »

Thanks for the replies. Nice looking car Richard!
Yes, its going 5lug. You see these cars with Fuchs and 2liters all the time.. We have been looking at later wheels to give the car some modern flare.
As long as the wheel ET is a lower number I have less chance of running spacers?
Type 4 Unleashed

That is correct, the lower ET numbers have less need of spacers. With my 16x9 Ronals on the rear with a ET11, I ran 245/50/16 with plenty of clearance on the inside but had to cut the lip flush on the out side for enough clearance and these were with no spacers. You will have probally no issues with a 8" wide rim with the correct ET on the rear. I made fit what I got.

I am going from 9" flares on the rear to 11" and went the 21mm-.827" spacers and 66mm studs to some what center the wheels in the larger flares.
Richard

EMW

Woodendad

Post by Woodendad »

The fender lip shouldn't be an issue, the PO. Cut them way too far! Looking at the gt flares that pelican offers. Hopefully it will help hide most of the problems.
Thanks for the input, and if anyone has pics or links to add, please by all means do so.
falcor

Post by falcor »

I'd love to see a 914 on 15" Telephone rims just to see if it looks as good in real as it does in my head. :-)
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

Google, stateside they're also called 'phone dials':