Rear 914-4 calipers with a spacer?

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
crankwalk

Rear 914-4 calipers with a spacer?

Post by crankwalk »

Hey 914 folks a quick question for you,

I have a Dino 308 GT4 that uses the same ATE calipers as a 914-6 which are a FORTUNE as you all know. My question is can you take 914-4 calipers (I have a set) and get a spacer and longer bolts for them from somewhere instead?

Thanks!
'12 VW Jetta TDI sedan- MPG queen
'76 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4- Garage Queen (turbo boxer swap)
'73 Datsun 240Z- Autox'er
-Jay Gilling
helowrench

Re: Rear 914-4 calipers with a spacer?

Post by helowrench »

Pmbperformance.com

They do exactly this for 914s
Call them.
The kitis about $225 IIRC
crankwalk

Post by crankwalk »

You are the man! Thanks
-Jay Gilling
crankwalk

Post by crankwalk »

Called them up and they said going that route I would lose 15% of my braking surface. I'd rather do that than pay 2k on rear calipers.
-Jay Gilling
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Possibly better plan:
Find some "modern" self adjusting calipers.

The 914 rears are not, "venting clearance" must continually be manually adjusted to maintain consistent braking performance.

The Golf/Jetta floating setup works well on a 914 rotor, not sure if room in std 914 location but you are not running a 914.

Passat versions about the same piston area as 914, and have a mechanical parking brake (that must be activated regularly to do the self adjusting part) plus some of these calipers are available in aluminum.

Would need a really good picture of the present setup from top and side to see how your Fubaru is set up//offsets etc.

Ignore all of this if you are running thicker vented rotors out back, in that case look to Ford/GM/Chrysler late models.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
crankwalk

Post by crankwalk »

Thanks for the reply Piledriver. I have the stock 308 gt4 rear rotors which are 20mm and the factory calipers are just like the 914-6. So basically I need a 3 inch bolt spacing like the 914 ATE calipers have but a 20mm opening for the vented rotors.

I put ATE 320i e21 front calipers on and they fit BUT they are too wide and hit the wheel. Grr
-Jay Gilling
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Unfortunately most rear disc setups w/parking brake integrated into the caliper are not vented rotors.

The good news is if you go with a CV mount mini-disc with a mechanical parking brake caliper, your actual caliper choice range just got a whole lot larger.

Not sure if the 2002ti front calipers would work out back, IIRC they are physically smaller than the 320s, but would need spacers/widened.
I can take pics (some are posted in the T3 forum)
(plus they would be kinda overkill balance-wise unless you went with something bigger up front)

Wilwood has the mech calipers ~cheap.

(had this discussion with another lister awhile back, he was on an unsprung weight reduction kick)
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
crankwalk

Post by crankwalk »

Piledriver wrote:Unfortunately most rear disc setups w/parking brake integrated into the caliper are not vented rotors.

The good news is if you go with a CV mount mini-disc with a mechanical parking brake caliper, your actual caliper choice range just got a whole lot larger.

Not sure if the 2002ti front calipers would work out back, IIRC they are physically smaller than the 320s.
I can take pics (some are posted in the T3 forum)
(plus they would be kinda overkill balance-wise unless you went with something bigger up front)

Wilwood has the mech calipers ~cheap.

(had this discussion with another lister awhile back, he was on an unsprung weight reduction kick)
All good info. I put 320 calipers on my 2002 as an upgrade back in the day. Maybe even a non Ti 2002 front caliper will fit as long as its narrow and 3 inch spacing on the bolts. I'm not worried about the parking brake being retained at all. I just need stopping and the wheel to fit
-Jay Gilling
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Confirm 3" spacing, they are bolt on replacements for early 914 or late T3 fronts.
(still need to run a pair of hoses to it)

I'd still look for something in aluminum, but you are probably way past sitting in the car and going "vroom-vroom" at this point and want "works. now."
crankwalk

Post by crankwalk »

Piledriver wrote:Confirm 3" spacing, they are bolt on replacements for early 914 or late T3 fronts.

I'd still look for something in aluminum, but you are probably way past sitting in the car and going "vroom-vroom" at this point and want "works. now."
:mrgreen: WORKS NOW!!

Exactly. I'm already saving weight by shaving off 4 cylinders!

I'll order one from one of the box parts store and then return it if it doesnt work. They are vented up front though on an 02 correct? It's been a few years. Thanks!
-Jay Gilling
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

crankwalk wrote:
Piledriver wrote:Confirm 3" spacing, they are bolt on replacements for early 914 or late T3 fronts.

:mrgreen: WORKS NOW!!

Exactly. I'm already saving weight by shaving off 4 cylinders!

I'll order one from one of the box parts store and then return it if it doesnt work. They are vented up front though on an 02 correct? It's been a few years. Thanks!

The 2002Ti ones are NOT for vented rotors, but may take a thicker rotor.
The was a version of that caliper that is wider, they can have spacers added.
E_bug

Post by E_bug »

Since you are 4 cyl lighter dont even worry about the 15% less surface. :D
My welding sucks .
crankwalk

Post by crankwalk »

E_bug wrote:Since you are 4 cyl lighter dont even worry about the 15% less surface. :D
4 cyl lighter and 30 more hp. Funny how that works!
-Jay Gilling
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Piledriver wrote:(had this discussion with another lister awhile back, he was on an unsprung weight reduction kick)
I resemble that remark.
by the way my driveway grew a 914
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

have you looked into 944 NA brakes, super cheap, very common, and I believe a bolt on affair. You'll have to do your own due diligence to be sure they will fit.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387