Bad_Idea exhaust taking shape

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
Placerpuma

Re: Bad_Idea exhaust taking shape

Post by Placerpuma »

Any updates Pile ?

My header is on its last leg, if I would win the lottery, I would buy the Tangarine racing system.
I am giving great thought to the A1 system, but hate the idea of putting out close to a grand, only to have half of the system, scrape out back.

Is Kerry Hunter still around ?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Placerpuma wrote:Any updates Pile ?

My header is on its last leg, if I would win the lottery, I would buy the Tangerine racing system.
I am giving great thought to the A1 system, but hate the idea of putting out close to a grand, only to have half of the system, scrape out back.

Is Kerry Hunter still around ?
I actually planned to finish welding it up today, but my sons 93 F350 took much longer than intended.

You could get a SS Chinese Kerry Hunter clone for $200, but it is a good copy in 1.5" and doesn't fit or work any better.

2L heaterboxes and a Bursch probably work as well as the Hunter system, even a cheap Sebring would probably do it.

A1 also made a sweet under-the-trans setup for someone, I saw a pic of it on Jakes forum years ago.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Placerpuma

Post by Placerpuma »

Should have elaborated a little more, I am running a 2.0 type4, in my Puma, There is hardly any room for a decent exhaust.
I started out with 2L heater boxes, running forward and have the 2 into 1 exit in front of the rear wheels. It was so loud that Harley's with open pipes complained about the noise. Also had some issues with leaks from vibrations.
For the last 16 years I have run Danish Heater boxes with a modified 914 header, tri Y. Running outback.

Thinking of simply building another header again, using an Empi 3483 as a base. Does anyone make decent 2 into 1 collectors to substitute the crappy ones from the empi header ?
flmont

Post by flmont »

I would love a bad idea exhaust system...Great Idea....Frank
didget69

Post by didget69 »

I've got a CIS-injected 1911 T4 motor going into a Sears Rascal dune buggy - the start of the header for it is a pair of Bus F-pipes aimed forward towards front of buggy, and then tied into a cobbled together 'cobra-head' pipe that joins left/right sides into a Y-pipe under the trans (supporting the Y-pipe junction under trans with a rubber hanger). This will put the exhaust up & over left IRS axle, through an 8" glasspack muffler, then a 90-degree right bend & a 90-degree left bend above the engine & exiting through a twin resonated tip through the license plate / air cleaner area of the Manx-style body...

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1109599.jpg

What was I thinking? :lol:

bnc
falcor

Post by falcor »

Placerpuma wrote:Should have elaborated a little more, I am running a 2.0 type4, in my Puma, There is hardly any room for a decent exhaust.
I started out with 2L heater boxes, running forward and have the 2 into 1 exit in front of the rear wheels. It was so loud that Harley's with open pipes complained about the noise. Also had some issues with leaks from vibrations.
For the last 16 years I have run Danish Heater boxes with a modified 914 header, tri Y. Running outback.

Thinking of simply building another header again, using an Empi 3483 as a base. Does anyone make decent 2 into 1 collectors to substitute the crappy ones from the empi header ?
Burns does nice things....but they cost accordingly.

http://www.burnsstainless.com/y-pipes.aspx
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

That snakehead thing just needs a hair dryer bolted on it.

For collectors (and most everything DIY exhaust related)
Cone Engineering is whom you seek... VERY reasonable... SS only costs a little more.

http://www.coneeng.com/collectors.html

They make a flat 4>1 collector I almost went with, and may yet...

The "bad Idea" just needs trimmed for the stubs and finish welded up, I have not had time.
I did have to scavenge the "collector" tube I was goi to use to mount a CFR Phase 9 can on my Bursch on the squareback...
(It met my requirements for a perfect muffler: I had one hanging on a nail for the last 5 years, and it fit)
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
scvw

Post by scvw »

Any updates Pile ? Love to see how it all comes together...
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I need to find some 1-7/8" or 2" tube about 18" long to finish it.
Have had too much else going on.