My 1974 SlantNose Project

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
Type 4 Unleashed

My 1974 SlantNose Project

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

Finally have a place close I can work. Got the garage pretty much cleaned up finally after my last move. Got the car here Monday, Now I can walk out into the garage anytime and do wrenching.

Believe it or not it rained today, so over cast so the pics are a little dark. I don't know if you can see my garage floor, but had it epoxied with plastic chips thrown in before we moved in. Now, since I don't have a lot of room, I am going to have to and get a set of car dollies to move it around with ease when needed, cause to get it back against the wall as it is, I had to roll it forward & backward a few times to get close enough, so that's the last time I am doing it that way.

It's mostly re-assembly now, almost all the rubber is new from the Dealer, factory bumper tops and so on, including a brand new dealer dash top. I can now start unpacking all the pieces and see what I have. All the aluminum trim is new and was black powder coated. The aluminum trim that goes around the windshield is new and is black and came from the dealer that way still packaged with dealer stickers on them.

Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
falcor

Re: My 1974 SlantNose Project

Post by falcor »

With some square tubing and steel caster wheels you could build yourself something like this:

http://matsgarage.com/wp-content/upload ... G_5127.jpg

Its worked great for me in my garage.
Type 4 Unleashed

When I get the chance I was going to see how much the material & the casters were going to cost. There are some pretty cheap dollies out there, but then you get what you pay for. I would prefer the hard rubber casters to the metal ones. I've got a hardware store that carries quality parts, so I will see which way I go. And thanks for the pic.
Richard

EMW

djway3474

Post by djway3474 »

I bought 4 of the small furniture dollies at Harbor Freight and move a Karmann Ghia around with them no problem. Around $8 each
Type 4 Unleashed

I splurged, a little better than furniture dollies but cost a lot more, but I am happy with them. Working on the car will be a lot easier now. I've been out to the storage picking up all the pieces that came with the car.

Some time ago, I had picked up a new motor for the car, and I mean a New motor, It's a brand new Factory built Super Vee motor, brand new factory case, cyl's, and heads. But the issue it's only a 1600cc Type lV motor with 87.5mm pistons & 1.7 heads, to run in the 1600cc Super Vee class, and so I was thinking of throwing on a set 96mm pistons and a set of 2.0 ltr heads for a little more power and torque from a 1911cc motor. But then again it might be a waste for the motor, especially if there's some one looking for a Super Vee motor. So a stroker motor may very well end up in the car instead.

Richard

EMW

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

What are you planning for front turn signals?

Are those glass or modded stock front fenders?
Looks nice!
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Type 4 Unleashed

Piledriver wrote:What are you planning for front turn signals?

Are those glass or modded stock front fenders?
Looks nice!
I was thinking something in the fog light frames since I don't want to cut holes into the bumper, I have some broken ones to play with, but also thinking about new ones out of aluminum to better support the turn signals.

No, the fenders are all metal.

New Factory Dash Pad
New Factory Windshield Rubber, and New Factory Windshield Trim, which I didn't know the aluminum pieces came in black.

Richard

EMW

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Those are some brutally expensive bits...

The LEs had blacked out trim, at least mine did.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Type 4 Unleashed

Here's a pic of the Super Vee motor that I was thinking of putting in this car. As much as I would like to find out what cam this has, I can't take it apart to find out, other than putting on some 96mm p/c's and 2.0 Ltr Heads. But I still find it interesting that a MAX 6,800 RPM was stamped on the block ?

Richard

EMW