Porsche 914 - Rear Disc Brakes

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
Richard914

Porsche 914 - Rear Disc Brakes

Post by Richard914 »

Hi,

I'm recommissioning a 914 (2.0 lt 1975)that I've had for 20+ years and I'm new to the forum.

I've just had some new alloy wheels fitted today and the garage said something was missing from the rear wheel hub.

I've attached a picture of the wheel hub. I've been told it is missing is something the alloy can rest on (a rim?) so that the load is not just placed on the 4 wheel bolts.

I've done some research online and have seen a few pictures of the rear brake hub and they all look very similar to mine. Does anybody know if I'm missing anything or were the wheels only attached by the bolts?

I hope that all makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
H2OSB

Re: Porsche 914 - Rear Disc Brakes

Post by H2OSB »

They are incorrect. Your set up is typical 914. You MIGHT be able to get a hub-centric ring for either side to help center the wheel, but that doesn't mean the arrangement becomes hub-centric. It would ONLY be for centering. That said, it wasn't done by the factory, so is unnecessary. Porsche uses ball seat lug nuts/bolts which centers each stud/lug bolt in it's individual hole

If you do a google search of images of 914 rear brakes, you'll see yours is typical stock 4 lug. Even the 914/6 5 lug rear brakes sits on the hub the same way.

H2OSB
Richard914

Post by Richard914 »

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply, it's really put my mind at rest and I can see from googling that they are lug-centric hubs. Interestingly, the front hubs are hub-centric, which is what I think confused the fitter.

I can now drive and enjoy the car without worrying!

Thanks again, it's much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Richard
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

The front rotors in late 914.....got their rotors and calipers from the VW 412 cars....and they are not "hub centric" for your convenience.

That center ring as well as the thicker rotor....were designed to reduce rotor flex during turns....and hence allow getting rid of the earlier caliper with the center guide pin and clutch. The earlier rotors had no center ring. The ring is just there for rotor strength. Ray
Richard914

Post by Richard914 »

Hi Ray, thank you for your reply and the information about the front rotors. That makes sense to me. Kind regards, Richard