My Megasquirt build, Volksbugly

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
MarioVelotta

Re: My Megasquirt build, Volksbugly

Post by MarioVelotta »

Bugly since you have an MS3, put in a 6 or 12 position potentiometer with steps from 0 to 5 volts. This will allow you to have a variable boost knob at the turn of the know by transitioning between 2 boost tables!

0 could be spring pressure and 12 could be full boost, or you can get creative.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

There are only two boost settings allowed...........wastegate and full boost......... :D :lol:

Just like throttle........idle.....Wide open.... :wink:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

I can also leave the water on since the 1.0 gph nozzle comes on at 6 lbs and the 2.0 gph nozzle comes on at 10 lbs. boost.
Each nozzle has their own separate Hobbs switch and solenoid.
I was going to have it ran off of MAP based duty cycle. This way All I need to do is figure out my quench at Hi RPM ie the biggest nozzle I need, then go down from there, Really I would like to just put a fuel injector in to do the work. :D
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

How are you planning on setting up the w/m injection? Stand alone system, or your own build?

I run a Devil's Own pump, I think 250psi...Devil's Own nozzles, one in each plenum and a big one just after the intercooler. I also use a high speed valve from Howerton Engineering and pulse it with the MS3 using the water injection table. I have a 2.5 gallon tank up front under the hood. I've only ever sprayed a couple times. Definitely cools things down fast.
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

Nice! I'm not running an intercooler so I'll probably spray more than you. So right now I run around at 120 to 140. I hit boost good a few times and it instantly shoots up to 160. (8lbs) low boost right now because I'm still in the break in period so I'm keeping an eye on everything. Waiting to up the boost till I can get an oil temp on. and get my EGTs monitored. (bungs welded, sensors bought, can-bus bought just have to reweld one bung its hitting suspension. I have pressures monitored, CHT monitored, soon to have my EGT and oil temp monitored. and about 50 other datapoints... lol SO MUCH! I have a cooling mist tank in pump kit that I bought it off Vee Dub Nut. I plan to control it with MS3 table like you. So yeah that high speed valve is probably what I need to get
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

I can use this to output to the pump from the ECU:
http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedisplay. ... re_key=ems

but I'm guessing it just needs a voltage pull up to be able to run the pump. so probably run that output from the MS directly into a very reliable relay. that can output 12v quickly
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I let the ecu turn on the pump, no pulse at this point. The valve is controlled though, just like an injector. I use one of the main board injector channels for it. The mine cruises around 140-150° according to my heat soaked sensor, but under boost doesn't raise more than 10° or 15° under full load. Water meth dropped it to 114 on a 1/4 mile pass at 20psi, pretty sure it was still dropping until I got off the throttle and the spray quit.

I am also a data junkie. I have 9 new bungs to weld into my exhaust and one for my intercooler tank, watching fuel and oil temp and pressure, pre intercooler, post intercooler and post water/meth temp. And a whole slew of other stuff. MS3-PRO with I/O Extender. Lots of fun :)
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

Status update:

135 HP on the dyno,
14.6 in the quarter <very consistent 3 pulls

Last edited by volksbugly on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

sweet!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

volksbugly wrote:Status update:

135 HP on the dyno,
14.6 in the quarter <very consistent 3 pulls

How much boost on the dyno?
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

So I actually hit 14.4 lbs of boost, and I couldn't figure out why I was so slow and low on power, but I figured it out. (I think) So my MAT was at 242 degrees! and my timing got pulled out aggressively as it should have to prevent detonation. it was 95 degrees out that day, I had no fan blowing on my engine and the decklid was shut. I was actually at -3 degrees when I hit that 14.4lbs

I hven't been able to hit that kind of boost since, but I think I figured out why last night. I had a piece of metal on my hidden crank case sensor, which was causing rough idle, and recently sync issues. I'll try to get better results this weekend
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Timing was low on the dyno or the track? That definitely wouldn't have helped in the power dept.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Holy EGT Batman...
So you basically had uncontrolled anti-lag going.

I'm going to guess at 3ATDC timing most of the burn was in the exhaust.
Wondering if it was shooting flame out the tailpipe...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

volksbugly wrote: I think I figured out why last night. I had a piece of metal on my hidden crank case sensor, which was causing rough idle, and recently sync issues. I'll try to get better results this weekend
quoting myself... lol

So I thought that was the problem, and really that problem isn't what was happening, no backfiring or fire flames out the exhaust. :twisted: I'm still trying to figure out whats up. I have a short somewhere but I don't know what Pin-outs are in my new bulkhead connector. (someone didn't write them down or give them to me) So I need to get that. Initially I was hearing a click (relay) and then it was like the car shut off. Then it would come back online. So after I went in the back touched all the wires and didn't notice anything, it came back running just fine. I was like... WTF....

anyway, I ended up later after dealing with that and things running freaking awesome... :twisted: (BAT OUT OF HELL) So after it was running great... then it started to show 0, 100, 0, 100 on the Throttle position. So I ended up getting at my TPS (thank goodness for access panels) I ran a meter on it and #s were ok. I compared to a new TPS that I got in the mail. So here is the odd thing. After I metered it then plugged it back in, it ran great again! so I was like ohh must have been the plug loose. yeah problem fixed! drove it around that evening prob put 20+ miles on it and did 1 street launch for testing. All is good! So I take it to the drag strip on a saturday in early october. I am dialing in my launch control. Made my 3rd run. Still spinning all the way through first (crappy street tires) but I was tracking for my fastest time ever! I was looking at breaking 14 seconds! :D :D but noooo the TPS 0,100,0,100 hit at 3/4 of the way down the track so I had to let off. (still ran 16 something) anyway I hurt my back pretty bad, (finally picked up a TENS unit 2 months later) So I have put any wrench time in to figure it out.
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

Chip Birks wrote:Timing was low on the dyno or the track? That definitely wouldn't have helped in the power dept.
Everywhere I'm driving and I get hot MAT. But the Dyno was at the track. :D it was outdoors in the beating down sun with no fan at the dyno. so 135hp with that much timing pulled out isnt bad. :P