Non starter buggy!!!

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
Volky

Non starter buggy!!!

Post by Volky »

Hi,

I have a friend that has a turbo buggy which he converted to EFI with direct coil wasted spark using MSII.

I am new at this but I was help troubleshoot the non starter. I connected his MSII to my bug and it started instantly. In his car the RPM's reach 128 to 138 approximately and a few explosions once in a while. The fuel pump turns on, too.

I have not seen his wiring but he explained the way it was setup, grounded to the battery. The VR wiring is a normal wire, not shielded, etc. Another thing, his spark plugs are non resistors. I believe this is an issue for the car to start.

Thanks,
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
Piledriver

Re: Non starter buggy!!!

Post by Piledriver »

Volky wrote:Hi,

I have a friend that has a turbo buggy which he converted to EFI with direct coil wasted spark using MSII.

I am new at this but I was help troubleshoot the non starter. I connected his MSII to my bug and it started instantly. In his car the RPM's reach 128 to 138 approximately and a few explosions once in a while. The fuel pump turns on, too.

I have not seen his wiring but he explained the way it was setup, grounded to the battery. The VR wiring is a normal wire, not shielded, etc. Another thing, his spark plugs are non resistors. I believe this is an issue for the car to start.

Thanks,
All of the above will help.
If it's a glass buggy grounding gets even more interesting...

The MS ground must be grounded to the battery, somewhere.

The best setup I found was use an aluminum mount plate for the ECU relays etc, and ground everything there, and tie that to the battery. The trick is all signal grounds must terminate at the ECU. (ECU mounting plate in this case)

This strategy works well on ACVWs installing MS under the back seat, next to the battery.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Thanks Pile,

I'll dig in to the wiring and see where they are?
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Hi to all,

Well, I got the buggy to idle and all but the AFR gauge in MS-2 stays at 17.6. The AFR gauge is one of those Autometer widebands with peak, throttle something :shock:, etc. also, it's 0-4v.

We tried everything and NADA.

The gauge itself shows a reading throughout the drive but does not signal the ms2.

Anyone had this issue?

Thanks,
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Have you put a voltmeter on the WB output to see what it is doing?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Hi Pile,

That was what I was going to do the next time I go. I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Volky

Post by Volky »

Hi,

My friend called me today indicating that he solved the spark plug #1 that was on vacation issue... The header on that plug was cold. It was the spark plug itself. Then he called me back saying #4 tube is red hot :shock:

Any thoughts? The engine is a 2109cc turbo engine with 0000 miles on it.

Thanks.