CB Performance or Electromotive systems?

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
SuperRSi

CB Performance or Electromotive systems?

Post by SuperRSi »

Anyone using a close to plug and play system with self tune on twin throttle bodies?

I am looking for a good quick fix for a 2.3 at altitude.

Thanks,
Randy
Stripped66

Re: CB Performance or Electromotive systems?

Post by Stripped66 »

CB is plug and play, but I'm rather unimpressed by their system, user interface, or the headache you may have to go through to tune it (e.g. contact CB, have them unlock certain features so that you can tune, etc). I've been running Electromotive since 2007, it is far from plug and play.

Megasquirt, such as a kit purchased through Mario Velotta, will be pretty dang close to plug and play, plus you'll have excellent support. Even if you pieced together a megasquirt kit, you will still have the extensive knowledge-base to draw from that far exceeds what is available to the end-user for either CB's or Electromotive's EFI systems.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Is there any good feedback on CB's newest system? Magnafuel/spark or what ever its called? It sounds like it has pretty good potential.
Stripped66

Post by Stripped66 »

Chip Birks wrote:Is there any good feedback on CB's newest system? Magnafuel/spark or what ever its called? It sounds like it has pretty good potential.
It runs well when it's tuned well. Again, the end-user is locked out of several of the tuning features (such as adjusting cold-start/warm-up enrichments), unless you request access to the feature/tuning parameter and CB will have their programmer unlock it. (This is assuming CB hasn't issued recent versions of the tuning software with some of these features already unlocked and accessible to the end-user)

Also, the one person I know who's running this system has sent the ECU back to CB at least once because the wideband O2 quit working. Otherwise, his car runs very strong.
tbirdusa

Post by tbirdusa »

I am running the CB and would just comment that CB has always been helpful. While I'm sure my quicktune does have its limitations for a true "tuner", for a guy like me, its great. I'm led to believe from many a forums that maybe I just don't know what a well tuned VW should run like, so I just think its tuned well. However, the learned / adaptive function works and shows in the VE table that the system is doing its thing. I know this, the car will scare the hell out of me, so i think its tuned well, as do the plugs. But again, I'm no tuner by ANY stretch of the imagination.
I don't find picking up the phone to chat with Lawless to be a hurdle, nice fellow. It is a system towards the higher end of price points but I've got over 20 grand in the car so what a couple hundy to me !!!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

tbirdusa wrote:I am running the CB and would just comment that CB has always been helpful. While I'm sure my quicktune does have its limitations for a true "tuner", for a guy like me, its great. I'm led to believe from many a forums that maybe I just don't know what a well tuned VW should run like, so I just think its tuned well. However, the learned / adaptive function works and shows in the VE table that the system is doing its thing. I know this, the car will scare the hell out of me, so i think its tuned well, as do the plugs. But again, I'm no tuner by ANY stretch of the imagination.
I don't find picking up the phone to chat with Lawless to be a hurdle, nice fellow. It is a system towards the higher end of price points but I've got over 20 grand in the car so what a couple hundy to me !!!
Pics of said car???

We all love pics...... :wink:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Basically, if you want it to run WELL and get it over with, include a few hours of dyno time in your plans, regardless of the system you choose, unless you have a desire to become the tuner.

Likely the fastest way to get from A>B would be a MS2 or MS3 system with second baro option and a ready to roll harness etc from Mario, and a local tuner/dyno operator who "does" MS well.
Add the cost of registering TunerStudio to the price, some setups include it now IIRC.

The CB system would likely "happen" just as fast if you can find a local dyno wizard who is CB EFI literate.
I don't know enough about it to say if it has a second baro option, the old versions didn't but the new one looks a lot more advanced, based on posted info.

It's also possible someone flogging electromotive has a T1/ITB specific ~plug-and-play setup, which would get you to the same place, in the hands of a tuner in about the same timeframe.

OTOH, if you have good hills available, TunerStudios auto tune function works remarkably well once you have the injector characteristics incl. dead time and the lambda delay table dialed in.

Any ready to roll system will have known injector #s, and the lambda delay depends on the WBO2 type and the exhaust system design/sensor location for the most part.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
tbirdusa

Post by tbirdusa »

Hills is what I need ! Its so flat in Kansas City its hard to put a car like this under load without finding yourself well over the speed limit ! When I put the CB system on the car, I cranked it up and she ran. Warmed it up and the self learning took it from there. Drive for a bit, use the VE correction tool (click of a mouse) and drive some more. later rinse repeat.....

Here is the car. Engine is 2332 with 48TB's and mini D wedge port heads.

[img]http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gall ... .jpg[/img]
Last edited by tbirdusa on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Nice Ride and Beautiful colors!!!!!
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

I have a virtually plug and play system available soon using an AEM EMS-4 ecu. This is specifically for the US market where the AEM brand has great support.It'll be preloaded with a map with all the sensor calibrations done and dyno proven on various engine combo's
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

I have Electromotive in my car now -- HATE IT -- -- NOBODY knows to tune it locally, and calling them up is very hit and miss -- have a AEM EMS4 sitting on the shelf now waiting for the rebuild of my engine to be completed
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Fiatdude wrote:I have Electromotive in my car now -- HATE IT -- -- NOBODY knows to tune it locally, and calling them up is very hit and miss -- have a AEM EMS4 sitting on the shelf now waiting for the rebuild of my engine to be completed
You'll like the EMS-4 and it should do all you need-nice logging software too. Get snipping :wink:
madman4

Post by madman4 »

Paul H wrote:
Fiatdude wrote:I have Electromotive in my car now -- HATE IT -- -- NOBODY knows to tune it locally, and calling them up is very hit and miss -- have a AEM EMS4 sitting on the shelf now waiting for the rebuild of my engine to be completed
You'll like the EMS-4 and it should do all you need-nice logging software too. Get snipping :wink:
The new data software is really nice.
If the EMS-4 could be the same ...
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

You can download the software from here
ftp://aem:[email protected]/cust/AEMTuner_v3.2.exe

and you need this too Microsoft .Net 4.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=17718

and the logging software is AEM Data

ftp://aem:[email protected]/cust/AEMda ... .00.37.exe