How often do MAP sensors fail?

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
luftvagon

How often do MAP sensors fail?

Post by luftvagon »

I'm troubleshooting a problem which appears to be a defective MAP sensor. My local baro is 100 kpa, however my GM 1BAR MAP sensor is only registering 63.4 kpa. Once in a while it will jump to 103 kpa and stay there... Not sure if this is electrical or MAP sensor.

How does one tell besides a bench test of the MAP sensor?
If I unplug the MAP from the electrical system, I get a random reading of 12 kpa (tunerstudio) -- consistently.

Is this some kind of strange electrical problem, or MAP sensor took a well undeserved break?
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI
luftvagon

Re: How often do MAP sensors fail?

Post by luftvagon »

Update:

I tested the Vref,V, and resistance to ground, without the MAP sensor connected.

Vref = 4.9998
V ~ 30mV
R ~ 20 Ohm to engine block

I guess, would that constitute normal parameters?
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI)
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

I the software set up for the correct MAP sensor?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

GM sensors have been known to fail, esp if of junkyard provenance.
Fortunately they are very common.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
luftvagon

Post by luftvagon »

I should have mentioned, the sensor has been set up correctly for GM 1BAR sensor and has been running for months. This is something new that just stared.
The sensor was brand new. I'll get another one.
luftvagon

Post by luftvagon »

I went to NAPA and picked up a new sensor. The sensor I bought was from Amazon, and it was $15; the NAPA part was $61 with shipping.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

What were the results?
luftvagon

Post by luftvagon »

Cheap Sensors Fail often :) I am back and running... did a nice tuning run today. Looks like this MAP sensor is much more precise than the old one.
dawie

Post by dawie »

Map sensors could possibly be damaged by backfiring through the inlet. A typical map sensor has limited over-pressure rating.

By the way, on some cars, backfiring can be severe, causing the inlet plenum to explode. Even the Porsche's strongly ribbed plastic plenum often gets blown to pieces while starting the car, especially when battery is a bit low. Cold start valve, spraying upstream into the plenum seems to exaggerate the problem. Combined with unstable ignition timing at low cranking speeds/ reluctor sensor... From experience, disconnecting the cold start valve in this application may help to reduce an "exploding backfire" to just some minor "coughing" when starting.
luftvagon

Post by luftvagon »

dawie wrote:Map sensors could possibly be damaged by backfiring through the inlet. A typical map sensor has limited over-pressure rating.

By the way, on some cars, backfiring can be severe, causing the inlet plenum to explode. Even the Porsche's strongly ribbed plastic plenum often gets blown to pieces while starting the car, especially when battery is a bit low. Cold start valve, spraying upstream into the plenum seems to exaggerate the problem. Combined with unstable ignition timing at low cranking speeds/ reluctor sensor... From experience, disconnecting the cold start valve in this application may help to reduce an "exploding backfire" to just some minor "coughing" when starting.
I think that's exactly what happened. My cold start has been disconnected for a while now, but when the fuel pump broke, it may have taken out the MAP sensor.
Or, it could've backfired during cold start, and taken out the MAP sensor.