Help me decide on EFI for Frankin bug [hello Mario]

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
volksbugly

Re: Help me decide on EFI for Frankin bug [hello Mario]

Post by volksbugly »

Chip Birks wrote: why don't turbo cars need constant baro?
Well they do, but its not needed as much if your running under boost. 10psi of air is 10psi of air. It will help when your not pushing psi and idling.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mapd ... p-117.html

So I just re-read that fully 3 times to fully grock everything and yes I'm now under the believe that you need to run it even with boost, so you can get the correction while even boosting.

also its just better to have this incase it resets.

also just to clear it up for those not in the "know" megasquirt gets a single barometric pressure reading when it first starts.
what the map daddy does is lets it constantly get readings... so when your 5000 feet up in the air and drive down to 500 feet the change in elevation and barometric pressure changes how the car runs.

Thanks for making me re-evaluate that Chip.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

You're welcome :wink:
My boosted bug has always had constant baro in play. I live right next to the Rocky Mountains. You must remember that a turbo car is only really a turbo car when you want it to be. 95% of the time it is just like every other car on the road. The only time mine makes boost its when I am being naughty :twisted: Mine doesn't start spooling unless I really want it too, turbo lag isn't the worst thing in the world though when cruising with a decent amount of compression and a lot of cc's.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Thanks for the advice volksbugly. Yea I have addressed that. The ms3pro has that feature built in. Mario and I had discussed this and he is putting in the 2nd map connector in the harness.
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

terryly wrote:Thanks for the advice volksbugly. Yea I have addressed that. The ms3pro has that feature built in. Mario and I had discussed this and he is putting in the 2nd map connector in the harness.
Terry
The Pro does not have that feature included. The setting is there, but like you said, the hardware has to be added.
terryly

Post by terryly »

As in have two map sensors? that's how I understood it Thanks Chip Birks
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

volksbugly wrote:I didn't read all the above posts, I'm a bit busy here at work, so if I say something that isn't quite in context I apologize I'm going off the first post. Whatever you decide it sounds like your going to be doing alot of elevation change driving. If you go the megasquirt route you have the ability to add the "map daddy" circuit which will account for barometric pressure changes. If you go turbo then my point is mute. :D

Cheers and good luck!
He is using an MS3-Pro with dual map sensors. Non Turbo but baro correction is just as important with a turbo car.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
5.0 Chero

Post by 5.0 Chero »

Piledriver wrote:NO.

Also trying to pick one of these up from a place called BC Broncos. But they are closed today will have to call on Monday. http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_ ... cts_id=119

It's a 1 quart fuel accumulator/filter. should work good in the rough

NONONOnononononono. No.

It doesn't really look like its actually even drilled for 4 fittings, it should be if done right.

PLEASE realize you can duplicate that $73 (ridiculous) fuel sump setup for about $20, or ~free if you are a packrat like many of us.
(I don't know how those folks face themselves in a mirror)

It's a simple generic remote oil filter mount with a pair of extra fittings drilled/tapped for the feeder pump and return.
The filter mounts cost about $10 + 4 brass fittings...

The airtex pump is a generic pump for a mid 90s Ford.
Not a bad choice, but check the part# and shop around.
He guys I realize i am late to the party but Ford used a nice little return line fuel res. on the mid to late 80 pickup and vans and can usally be picked up for around $15 or $20 at a junk yard
Have been running on on my 5.0 EFI swap in the PYl for years now works great
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Nice one!
terryly

Post by terryly »

Nice find 5.0 Chero ! Might be a little late as I picked up a remote oil cooler adapter {$17} and hardware store fittings {$10} this past week Dilled ,tapped and assembled on weekend {15min} looks good now just need to find appropriate size fuel filter. ThanksPiledriver :D Going to stop by pick a part yard and have a look at that reservoir though. Thanks for the heads up. Should receive a Stepper motor and distribution block from CB performance tomorrow. Then I can pass along its connections to Mario so he can finish up wiring harness. Will order 4X EGT and CHT sensors from him on Friday. That should leave me with 2 MAP sensors , 4X LC2 wide band sensors and some fuel line and fittings away from a complete EFI set up 8) Can't wait to dig in!!! When Mario's order comes in I can see what will be needed for fuel lines. Oh yea will also need 3 relays and a fuse block. Coming along nicely I think

Terry "lookin for the delivery man" Lytle
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

That nice Ford bit looks to take quick disconnects, they can be had in pairs at most parts stores for ~$7.
They have barbs on the other end.

The GM ethanol sensors take the same fittings.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Here you go Terry :mrgreen:
IMG_20151109_155313.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
terryly

Post by terryly »

Sooo Nice Thanks mario :shock: :o :D
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
5.0 Chero

Post by 5.0 Chero »

Piledriver wrote:That nice Ford bit looks to take quick disconnects, they can be had in pairs at most parts stores for ~$7.
They have barbs on the other end.

The GM ethanol sensors take the same fittings.
Yes you are correct I was able to plumb my EFI fuel system for my Chero from the wreaking yard for about $20 of course this was back in 2002 but I am still running the same junkyard lines without any issues and it is my daily driver. I also used an external EFI pump and filter from a Ford pickup Ford used a Bosch pump from the factory and I just run junk yard ones. From 2002 to 2006 I went through about 6 or 7 pumps. After I found the res. and installed it 2006 I have used 2, no more cavitation or fuel starvation to heat up the pump
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

MarioVelotta wrote:
volksbugly wrote:I didn't read all the above posts, I'm a bit busy here at work, so if I say something that isn't quite in context I apologize I'm going off the first post. Whatever you decide it sounds like your going to be doing alot of elevation change driving. If you go the megasquirt route you have the ability to add the "map daddy" circuit which will account for barometric pressure changes. If you go turbo then my point is mute. :D

Cheers and good luck!
He is using an MS3-Pro with dual map sensors. Non Turbo but baro correction is just as important with a turbo car.
I was wrong and it totally matters with a turbo, so the point isn't mute: :D
http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/p ... ochargers/
terryly

Post by terryly »

Ok guys starting to make some progress with my MS3pro install and wiring project. Here is a link to The Other Site with a lot of pics. still have to figure how to re size and post pics on here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641444
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil