Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
raygreenwood

Re: how i did my fuel return

Post by raygreenwood »

volksbugly wrote:
aircooledtechguy wrote:
volksbugly wrote:This is cool, but also pricy:
https://www.designengineering.com//cate ... ing-system
Well, there's nothing better than adding complexity, weight and blowing through 4 bills to solve a problem that doesn't exist. . . Sign me up!! :lol:
But its soooo cooooooool. :D
Yes....In Dallas...I had in tank fuel temps over 125F. That being said.....distance running on the highway...hot ass highway like driving to Houston...showed no apparent rise in temps once the tank hits its stable temp....with reference to how hot it is outside anyway. Usually when I see 125F + temps....I can measure blacktop temps over 140+ that I am driving over. Yes...you see some see-sawing of like +/- 3*....but that up AND down.

So the point I was making is that once the fuel tank temp is stable with reference to what the ambient temps are going to drive it to.....140+ in summer in Texas....75-80+ in spring and fall...and freezing in winter....I have seen no significant or attributable rise to fuel temps from the fuel system input.

That being said....Thats IN MOTION...driving. There is the highest probability that the fuel pump IS putting in some heat. Laws of physics says so. However....Between sloshing around in the tank...huge surface area, high speed air running over a lot of feet of line and a large metal fuel filter...again large surface area....and the relatively stable fuel temp in the tank....I would say you are shedding as much heat or more than the pump is putting in.

That being said.....if you are just sitting still and running the system...no moving air or fuel sloshing....i would bet that you really would see some heat rise into the fuel. Ray
66brm

Post by 66brm »

Hijacking this a little, I'm seriously considering running a flex fuel sensor in my return line, to run off my MS2+xtra 3.57 ecm as the increased availability of ethanol fuels occurs here in Australia, I'm thinking its a matter of plumbing in this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-13577429 ... 805wt_1105

and completing the necessary mods to the board/harness to have the ecm recognise whats going on? As Pile has reported he is seeing variation in ethanol blends, is table switching triggered by the sensor? or does it run off the same table?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

The basic ms2 method just applies a multiplier to the fuel table as far as I know. I've always had flex sensor of some sort in my system. Never really trusted it though. Generally they read pretty good, but every once in a while I get an odd blip of noise in the signal, with fuel and timing adjusting to suit. Not something I want happening at full boost while running e85 in the tank. A 30% reduction in fuel even for an instant could cause some nasty damage. I tend to just tune for e85 and tune for gas, depending on the flavor of the day.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

It does work pretty well for me, and it does make switching back and forth seamless.
I found I get crap fuel mileage around E50, just doesn't like it at all.
When switching back an forth, try to get almost empty either way.
I only run E85 when it gets hot out, engine overcools otherwise.

I have never noticed any noise on the signal on MS3 or MS2, but I will have a look at some logs.
Both of my setups go through a MS3x.

MS3 has a lovely blend between 2 VE tables, one for E85 or 100 and one for base fuel, for me thats about E10 or a little lower.

MS2e seems to do something like a reqfuel multiplier based on ethanol concentration.

Both seem to work OK.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Jamesjh

Post by Jamesjh »

I have used the CB tee since 07 with no issues until last summer. On very hot days it would quit running at stoplights. I was able to duplicate this and clear it up by bleeding the hot fuel, and yes it was very hot from the pressure port. I welded a bung for a return line into the bottom of the fuel tank and haven't had it happen agin. I will also note that my regulator is in the engine bay. Since I put it together CB has changed their instructions recommending the regulator be mounted outside the engine bay to prevent "vapor lock".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk