O2 sensor position?

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
falcor

O2 sensor position?

Post by falcor »

I'm getting a new muffler made for my 914 and I need to put the O2 sensor somewhere.

http://c767170.r70.cf2.rackcdn.com/R17091406.jpg

Would it be ok to place it where the end pipe exits the muffler or is that too close to the exit?

Quick replies would be most helpfull.
Piledriver

Re: O2 sensor position?

Post by Piledriver »

Tough without a collector.

Sensor needs so stick up, cable end up, as close to vertical as possible.
(according to Bosch up to 45 degrees from vertical is acceptable, but the goal is to keep condensate water (inside the exhaust) out of the sensor, as it can be deadly to the sensor)

It also needs heat from the exhaust in addition to the internal heater to run at the right temperature.
Guessing how the internal plumbing is set up, putting it right in the middle is probably the best plan, and most likely to "see" the exhaust from all 4 cylinders.

Don't put it at the exit, that may "see" air and will be the coolest point.

The only WBO2 controllers that provide temperature readout AFAIK are made by Alan at 14point7.com, and not all of them have the capability.

All WBO2 controllers "see" the temperature in order to regulate it, but his are the only ones that can provide that information externally, the spartan2 etc cannot as it has no readout...

It running at the correct temp makes a huge difference on accuracy.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
falcor

Re: O2 sensor position?

Post by falcor »

Thanks Pile, I had a suspicion it would be too close to open air thats why I asked.