What CLTs are you seeing with Mario's sensor?

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
petew

Re: What CLTs are you seeing with Mario's sensor?

Post by petew »

See that's about what I'm seeing most of the time. So Mario's sensor can't be that far off.
damo99

Post by damo99 »

petew wrote:
rubenski wrote:I use it only as a guide for temperatures. Just good to know since my vdo oil temp gauge barely indicates something. Only when i drive it verry long i get oil temps over 70ºc

Not mario's and not FI. Just a 110hp 1641cc.

Ignore if not relevant.
Interesting what you say about your VDO oil temp gauge. I'm having the same experience. It's in my deep sump and it barely goes above the lowest reading which is 50degC. The highest it ever got was sitting in traffic for ages on a warm day. 70degC.

i would never trust a VDO gauge to be anywhere near accurate
street machine magazine ,volks world and unique cars mag all did tests
on various gauges including VDO ,autometer,smiths and more
and VDO was always way out on there temp gauges as was autometer .
one of the best was digital dakota and speedhut
petew

Post by petew »

Hmmm, ok.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I could never get oil temps over 140 to 160 Degrees F. on my Buggy especially in the spring and fall.
The highest I ever saw was 179 Degrees on a hot summer day and running it at 70 mph plus on the freeway at 3000 plus rpm for 10-15 minutes.
I swapped my pulley side oil relief piston with the spring on top and piston on bottom and now it seems I get better oi temps although I haven't checked it with a gauge yet.

I used to have all kinds of Vaseline type gunk on the oil filler and in the filler tube. Now it is clean and no crap on the cap.

It's been clean ever since doing the swap.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

the spring was on top of the plunger?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

The spring is on the top now and the plunger sits on the bottom against the plug. It blocks the oil drain so the engine maintains pressure.
What this allows is for the oil to travel the easiest path. Some oil will still go through the cooler but especially when cold it will go straight to the bearings. I installed a Thermostatic control on my full flow filter and a remote cooler under the body to help with cooling if needed.

I've been running it that way for about 6500 miles so far and have had good oil pressure and the oil is warmer too.

On my long trip I think I got the oil pretty hot a couple times but then adjusted timing and AFR and got it to run cooler.

This is working for me but I don't take any responsibility for anyone else trying it. You need to engineer the setup and think it through before trying it.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

interesting, like you say, if it works!
i run only an external cooler so might look into this :)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

There's a part you can screw into the plug location that does essentially the same, piston and spring come out, it blocks off the return to sump and is a nice radiused 90 degree fitting used to feed oil going in to the main galleries.

CB?

Jaycee makes a remote filter mount with an adjustable pressure bypass, also offer one built into a (sadly) aluminum pump cover.
It would be best to return to the pump inlet to reduce cavitation at high RPM, IIRC the iron Berg relief cover can be modded that way as well.

Jaycee also sells a long feed fitting that completely eliminates the relief setup from the pulley end of the case.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.