panel

Speeduino ECU

Post by panel »

'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Piledriver

Re: Speeduino ECU

Post by Piledriver »

Now I have. Looks neat and uses TunerStudio for tuning.
(Knowing it has decent tuning software is a huge plus)
Poked around a bit on the forums, looks like its seen several hardware revs already, but seems amazingly capable for what it is.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Is this something that is available for purchase by the public? Or is it still in its testing phase? I wouldn't mind giving it a go on my rail buggy.
Kinda confusing as they really don't have a webpage...just that wiki page.

EDIT: Didn't see the sidebar they have there with all the links. Looks like they have a nice following on the forums too.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I would suggest one would need to have reasonable prior experience with EFI and perhaps C code as there isn't any support other than the forums.

Still looks cool.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

So what does Speeduino offer over Megasquirt?

Max
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Max Welton wrote:So what does Speeduino offer over Megasquirt?

Max
Is it cheap?
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Chip Birks wrote:
Max Welton wrote:So what does Speeduino offer over Megasquirt?

Max
Is it cheap?
Looks to be ~$160
https://speeduino.com/shop/index.php
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Nowhere near the MS2extra firmwares capabilities yet, but Speeduinos core capability is running a 4 banger sequentially, injection and ignition.

In that, it actually exceeds any std MS2 variant B&G sells out of the box, as any MS2/microsquirt needs additional hardware to run sequential on a 4 cylinder, via the MS2Extra firmware.

Sequential on MS2 is not hard to do, can be purchased already modded from multiple sources, and there are optional methods to do it per need, but is still a significant additional expense.
(JB "4 channel" board for hi-Z and dumb coils, JB 4 channel low-Z peak and hold board for injectors only, discrete drivers can be built, MS3X can be used for most I/O via the MS2XT adapter kit, probably other options exist)

The price is certainly right, but there are still a LOT of features MS2E has that Speeduino lacks, and may never have.
The question is do YOU need those specific features.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Piledriver wrote:The question is do YOU need those specific features.
I just want an ECU that can batch fire four coils and injectors...and maybe read a few sensors. Just for a woods buggy.
Sadly...I feel this is all I am utilizing my MS3x for right now on my turbo beetle :oops:
mads b (dk)

Post by mads b (dk) »

You also need a based unit to control the speeduino

Tapatalk
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

mads b (dk) wrote:You also need a based unit to control the speeduino

Tapatalk
Correct, the speeduino is an I/O "shield" that plugs onto a std ARDUINO MEGA 2560 R3 cpu board, about $40, but also works with clones that can be had for less..

You will also need a case, and a harness.

for comparison, a microsquirt V3 is a capable MS2-based unit made entirely from automotive-grade parts, in a fully sealable case, with a nice AMPseal connector and harness for $339 with a 30" harness, can be mounted in the engine compartment.

The combo with the 8' harness is $369.

Ideal for a woods buggy running waste spark and batch, as its waterproof once sealed.
cnicholls

Post by cnicholls »

I am building a Turbo EFI 1641 using a speeduino v.04 board, $140 for the ECM all in. I used 75 FI castings, the rest of the sensors came from a dodge 4.7. I am gutting the stock distributor and modifying a optical sensor for sequential fuel/ignition

I am waiting on some parts to come in.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

cnicholls wrote:I am waiting on some parts to come in.
Please keep us updated. This is intriguing.
frank1380

Post by frank1380 »

I've never heard of this one. I've already got an Arduino Mega. I may not go the Megasquirt route. Thanks for sharing.
cnicholls

Post by cnicholls »

Well, the speeduino route didn't work out for me. After spending several months trying to figure it out I recently found out the .04 version of the board has a design flaw and the grounds were not attached. The only solution is to surface solder jumper wires the grounds under the board. Because I am building a buggy, I really didn't want a surface solder joint breaking off while bouncing around in the middle of the sand dunes.

I am backtracking to a microsquirt system very frustrated that I wasted the money and more importantly time.