See Through B&S Engine Head -4k Slowmo

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
kangaboy

See Through B&S Engine Head -4k Slowmo

Post by kangaboy »

Hi all, just wanted to post this up because I thought it awesome to see what's going on inside the combustion chamber of a simple motor. He uses three different fuels, and films them at super slow-mo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdW1t8r8qYc

EDIT: My bad...didn't know what forum to post this in...could be moved or just deleted by Mods.
Last edited by kangaboy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
ps2375

Re: See Through Engine Head -4k Slowmo

Post by ps2375 »

unfortunately there was no management of fuel to see how it burns, other than for the gasoline part. entertaining at best.
FJCamper

Re: See Through B&S Engine Head -4k Slowmo

Post by FJCamper »

Gentlemen,

Not scientific, but both entertaining and educational of the basics. Some very long and tedious NACA (National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics) precursor to NASA, studies on effects of cylinder,combustion chamber shape, and compression on combustion are available via Google searches.

However, this video packs a lot of understanding of what flame fronts, exhaust extraction, and basic characteristics of different fuels actually look like.

Notice how combustion efficiency of the engine could be improved with just the relocation of the spark plug toward the center of the head!

I suppose I'm sympathetic to the video because we made Lexan-window valve covers at our shop to watch actual oil pooling via windage in the 3-4 cylinder side, observe it, measure it, and try to counteract it.

Remember the famous old story about Dr. Porsche when he was with Mercedes before WWII, at a track test, where all the Mercedes engineers were arguing about how to fix a problem. When he gave them the answer, they were argumentative. "How do you know this?" they demanded.

"I looked," Porsche said.

FJC