36-1 trigger wheel in a distributor....

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
64 sunroof

36-1 trigger wheel in a distributor....

Post by 64 sunroof »

So I have been working on a distributor for my turbo beetle project for sequential fuel and spark using a 36-1 trigger wheel to be used with my ms2 (after i upgraded my racecar with an ms3) pictures as they say speak 1000 words

that was at crank speed and so i tested at cam speed in megasquirt

also at cam sensor speed i was able to read 300 rpm quite happily.

my question is i was showing a racecar friend this and he was said that "It will work , but will struggle to get a perfect reading. I would say you will get 5 degrees of difference on and off throttle with the backlash of the distributor drive shaft. And another difference with the clutch pushed down as it pushes the thrust on the crank" now i thought that it would have a much smaller effect (around .5 to a degree at the cam ~ 1-2 degrees crank) at worst case i will add a crank sensor too
Chip Birks

Re: 36-1 trigger wheel in a distributor....

Post by Chip Birks »

Piledriver on here has been using this method for probably 4 years now. He hasn't had any complaints as far as i can tell. Full sequential and one sensor is nice. VW timing gearing is pretty tight. Not like its belt or chain driven. It will be just fine. Nice work!
64 sunroof

Post by 64 sunroof »

cheers dude that was my thought, its a long term project in between keeping my racecar running so updates will be slow( mk2 golf 550 hp runs 10.7)
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

I always thought timing slop for distributors was in gearing off crankshaft and the connection (slot) between the distributor drive assembly and actual distributor...

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
64 sunroof

Post by 64 sunroof »

once i get it in place and running on the ms2 i will do a video of the timing when i have set the timing to static and then we should be able to see it move around or not.....