Make the manifolds fit the throttle bodies or vice versa...

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
UKLuke72

Make the manifolds fit the throttle bodies or vice versa...

Post by UKLuke72 »

I think I've settled on running 38mm GSXR throttle bodies on my IDA manifolds now, difficulty is deciding on whether to split the throttle bodies and sit them on top of the manifolds and then worry about throttle linkage and fuel rails later OR chop the manifold down and have a flange welded on lower down where the bore spacing falls right and allows me to keep the throttle bodies in pairs...

Issue with the latter I think is with the ITBs lower down that will restrict room even more to get at the plugs.
terryly

Re: Make the manifolds fit the throttle bodies or vice versa...

Post by terryly »

need pics Luke :D
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

Cut the less expensive part.
UKLuke72

Post by UKLuke72 »

I'll grab a few pics later.
I've gone with hacking the ITBs about :D
grelland

Post by grelland »

from page 4 and onwards in this thread, you will find some pictures and a lot of good advice on a similar build I did a few years back. I still have the intakes and TBs if you want me to take some pics.

I ended up cutting the intake manifolds

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... d&start=60
UKLuke72

Post by UKLuke72 »

Thanks Grelland, great read... I've gone with modifying the cheap part first... If it doesn't look like it's going to work so well I will be looking at going down the route you have taken.

I've started down this route with the ITBs
Intentions so far are to retain the stock injector locations, not sure what to do about the fuel rail though...

Also I'm not sure if I'll be able to grind enough off the outside of the ITBs to clear the stud holes on the manifolds so I may end up relocating those... We'll see.

grelland

Post by grelland »

I plugged the injector holes in the TBs and welded in some bungs in the manifolds. You could also use CB manifolds with bungs cast in them like the ones I will be using in my latest version of this engine:
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/7366.htm
UKLuke72

Post by UKLuke72 »

It's getting a pair to the UK though... Will likely cost me ~£200/ getting on for $300

Yeah went through your thread... Those injectors interfere with the body work then?
grelland

Post by grelland »

UKLuke72 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:36 am
Yeah went through your thread... Those injectors interfere with the body work then?
nope ;)
Dive!Dive!

Post by Dive!Dive! »

Seem like a lot of work Luke. If you are set on using those manifolds, why not get some of the speedshop ITBs to suit ? All the work and the rails done for you...Understand if you are working to a budget and your time is free...and you like making stuff!
UKLuke72

Post by UKLuke72 »

The only reason I kinda wanna keep the manifolds is because they have been match ported really quite nicely...
I've not ruled out hacking them about and making the manifolds fit the TBs though tbh... Still in a state of confusion...
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

those are the gsxr throttle bodies that re space easily so i'd just re space those, get the carb rubbers and A see if they line up bolt pattern wise (prob not )
or B make an adapter place for the manifold bolt pattern to the carb rubber bolt pattern, using counter sunk allen head screws helps here.....

i've lost interest in mine lately but i'll get back on it this year. i made my manifolds. but i think i'm going with the big beef ones, but as you say, nightmare to get in the UK!! lime bug are one option... and yours are already match ported so i'd stick with it.

fuel rail, look at superninja was it? he has a blog that shows how to cheaply get around that issue ;)