bung dimensions of a FI beetle injector

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
theKbStockpiler

bung dimensions of a FI beetle injector

Post by theKbStockpiler »

Does anyone know if a bigger capacity injector will fit in a 75-76 FI beetle end casting? The electrical aspects are not important.
Thanks for your expertise!
Super beetle with attitude
Jadewombat

Re: bung dimensions of a FI beetle injector

Post by Jadewombat »

I'm not sure offhand, but probably. As long as the seals mate up the same to the manifold, you have enough room to remake some brackets or just add a spacer and replace the stud that holds the brackets. Those end casting intake runners are tiny though.
nbuscemi

Post by nbuscemi »

I can take measurements of a set of OE manifolds I have in garage. One think I can tell you is that I tried to use a set of modern injectors (2005 Ford 4.6L) and they did NOT fit. The bung is intended for a square edge o-ring, where most modern top-feed injectors use a round (donut) shaped one.

-Nick-
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

AFAIK, Bus injectors of the same year are the exact same dimensions and fit the same. Since the Bus engine is 2 liters, they must flow more fuel per pulse.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

I have a set that I machined to fit modern EFI injectors, I can measure them or willing to sell if you migt be interested.
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
nbuscemi

Post by nbuscemi »

For what its worth, after maxing out the stock VW hose fed injectors I upgraded to CB Perf. DP injection manifolds. These will be too short to run with stock EFI center plenum but can be modified to work. These will allow you run just about any modern top-feed injector you wanted.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/7360.htm

Here's my setup running 25# Chevy Cobalt injectors and Areomotive FPR.

-Nick-
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

The CB also can flow MUCH better the L-jet steel manifolds are very small inside diameter.
nbuscemi

Post by nbuscemi »

Steve Arndt wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:27 am The CB also can flow MUCH better the L-jet steel manifolds are very small inside diameter.
Agreed, the CB manifolds are worth every penny, and very expensive at only $150 for the pair. They also offer the correct fuel rails and hardware to go with them. The ends of the rails are tapped with NPT threads so you can install just about any fitting you want.

-Nick-
plasticlizards

Post by plasticlizards »

From memory there isn't much meat on the stock l-jet manifolds to take modern injectors. You end up putting a new boss onto the existing boss to get a large enough diameter. I modified some to take Audi 1.8t 14mm injectors.
IMG_20200203_201449478.jpg
IMG_20200203_201445026.jpg
I thought these looked ok on the bench but inside the car they clashed with the engine bay. I guess they would work fine in a buggy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

The set I have had plenty of material, measures .535 after machining.
Kenric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
plasticlizards

Post by plasticlizards »

Sorry my mistake. You are absolutely right Kenric.

This project has taken me so long it's hard to remember how it works.

I had to fit bungs there because they helped with the long stem injectors I was using.
I have the most basic Audi 1.8t injectors. I think they are 058133681b.

I gave up in the end and made something like the CB manifolds out of old carb castings.

Even with the factory injectors, the l-jet stuff must be a really tight fit in the engine bay.
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Just about to make an injector conversion kit for the 2.1 WBX to replace the old hose fed things and noticed an L jet manifold has exactly the same injector setup I'll need to measure up the spacing . Maybe the injectors are the same 141.8 g/min ( 205cc/min ) flow rate ??
Real parts=Real Performance-Get Real
Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance (Plato).