Water pumps???

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
Tristessa

Water pumps???

Post by Tristessa »

... I'd go looking around a junkyard for a windshield-washer pump. 12V, designed for water, and there are many *many* designs around. Should be cheap.
Marc

Water pumps???

Post by Marc »

When I added water injection to my motor home I just tapped it off the plumbing I already had.
Not being a smartass, just suggesting that an RV water pump would have more capacity and probably last longer than a washer pump that was only designed for intermittent use. Consider it if the washer pump isn't up to the job.
CA 1.7 914

Water pumps???

Post by CA 1.7 914 »

When you say you tapped the current plumbing, are you saying the watercooled water pump or does your rv have an electric water pump used for some other purpose. If electric what year make and model is your rv so i can look into the pump. My aplication would be in a 1973 1.7L porsche 914. (no water cooling) Thank you for your help.
Marc

Water pumps???

Post by Marc »

Yes I used my potable water pump (no danger of running out of water with a 60 gallon supply tank, either)...they're generic, available at any RV supply store. And probably the smallest one made would be more than enough for your car. A washer pump like Tristessa suggested may be all you really need anyway, I just wanted to point you away from using a fuel pump (Bosch-type pumps are lubricated by the fuel they pump and probably wouldn't be happy passing water).
CA 1.7 914

Water pumps???

Post by CA 1.7 914 »

I was probably going to use a Fogger is mini mister that you can get at a hardware store for garden hoses. These require 20-40lbs of pressure. I dont know if a washer nozzle would produce as fine of a mist as i want. I will look into it though. Thank you also for the rv tip, ill check the local rv store. Theres actually one less than a block from home. I never thought of the fuel pumps being lubed by the gas. Perhaps adding antifreez would emilinate this. I dont know.

Still looking for info about a 12v pump that can pump water at 20-40psi.

Thank you all for the time and knowledge.
ray greenwood

Water pumps???

Post by ray greenwood »

The fuel pump will work...but will rust quickly. Most models have the brushless motor immersed in fuel. The minerals in the water will kill it quick. You are looking for pressure though. How much water tank do you need? The stock washer bottles will work great. Modify the hole in the bottom for better flow. The spare tire, pressure valves are still available for not too much. Get thered version if you can find it. It was for type 3 and 4 variant and some buses. It had about a 15 psi higher top pressure...and only bled down to 32 instead of 26 or so PSI. You could use 2-3 bottless...hold a couple of gallons or so at a time, use 1 pressure valve on 1 bottle, and link the tops together with small bulkhead fittings. Ray
CA 1.7 914

Water pumps???

Post by CA 1.7 914 »

Can a fuel injection fuel pump be used to pump water for a water injection system???? Does anybody know of a inexpensive 12v water pump that can be used for water injection? thanks for the time
CA 73 1.7 914

Water pumps???

Post by CA 73 1.7 914 »

Thanks Ray. Do you thing that using some coolant (10%) would help to reduce rust? Also I found a different mister/fogger at the Home Depot that only needs max 20lb instead of the 40 i thought. I dont know howmuch fluid i will need. I was originaly thinking of using this to cool the engine (intake) at long stop lights on those warm summer days that cry out to be driven in.(pleasure car) But now im thinking of using it to cool by misting the cylinders. I wonder if this might lead to cracking? More to think about. I have also thought about using the intake vacume with a watter bottle to suck in wet air but wonder if this would in effect create a vacume leak. To much time on my hands i guess.
Thank you all again for the advice. I am still interested in any that can be offered.
ca 73 1.7 914

Water pumps???

Post by ca 73 1.7 914 »

could someone please forward this to the forced induction spot or tell me how to do it. Thanks