'66 Bus questions

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
Jadewombat

\'66 Bus questions

Post by Jadewombat »

Hi, please, PLEASE respond to [email protected] as I hardly ever check this page. OK, have a '66 T1 DP 1600 engine with CIS, with a mix and match of late 70s parts, mostly rabbit stuff. The bus runs fine, although a little ragged, but I think I finally have the timing and mixture settings down. The problem is that sometimes if I drive somewhere and park her for more than 20 or so minutes it will not start. It has happened three times, and two of those when it was only 70 degrees or so, and I hadn't even driven more than a mile, barely enough to get everything warm. My suspect IS the accumulator, but I want to get everyone's opinion. What I do know is that there was not enough fuel pressure when it happened one time. I physically lifted the flap on the fuel distributor and there was no sound from the injectors even with the fuel pump running, they should have been singing!! The weird thing is if I wait a couple hours it starts fine, like nothing happened. Could it also be a pressure problem or mixture, and what should the timing be on this engine? The throttle body as of now is a 32/41mm. Thanks in advance and please write to me directly.
Pillow

\'66 Bus questions

Post by Pillow »

Pressure accumulator.

Once the pressure drops I think it essentially vapor locks the FI system until it cools down.

------------------
Adrian Pillow
'66 VW Westfalia - "Biscuit"
'67 VW Deluxe Westfakia - "Dino" - FS
'79 Porsche 911 SC - "Cochese" - FS