F.I. engine idle goes up and down.. up and down.. up and..

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
squarebackagain

Post by squarebackagain »

I am sorry I didn't mention the exhaust before. Being new to VW mechanics (always had someone else do the work in the past) it is difficult to know what details are important.
Thank you for all the help so far, I will keep searching for more vacuum leaks; but what is the propane torch trick?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

squarebackagain wrote:I am sorry I didn't mention the exhaust before. Being new to VW mechanics (always had someone else do the work in the past) it is difficult to know what details are important.
Thank you for all the help so far, I will keep searching for more vacuum leaks; but what is the propane torch trick?
If you have set just on the lean side at idle, the propane will get sucked in to the leak and speed up the idle.

It's far safer than most other methods.

Replace the injector seals first with Rays trick, go buy some Bosch green CIS viton injector seals and bolt the injectors back in.
(Just do it, I'd put money on a leak there)

You might want to replace all (ALL) your fuel hose if you don't know how old it is. You might want to do that FIRST.

The fabric covered German EFI hose isn't all that expensive.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.