Finalized the motor/trans placement in the Square

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
aircooledtechguy

Finalized the motor/trans placement in the Square

Post by aircooledtechguy »

Made good progress today. Joined the motor and trans hopefully for the last time.

Lifted the car and got the motor and trans into position, then dropped the car onto the motor/trans. LIKE A GLOVE!! Then I had to design and fab a pair of rear hangers for the rear mount bar. The bar is a stock bus bar, so it's rubber mounted at the motor. So these are solid mounts to the car. The pic is 90degrees off, but you all get the idea.

Once I bolted these up, the motor and trans was finally home; not hooked-up, but home in it's final location.

Things I have to re-engineer before I can close out phase-3 are:

- The clutch cable. The stock one is about a foot too short now and I need a custom-made bowden tube. That should be interesting. . . I'm going to test fit a stock 914 cable assembly just to see how it does. . .
- E-brake cables. Same issues as the clutch but found a company that makes cu$tom e-brake cable$.
- Make new brake lines. This should be a snap.
- Make a custom off-set shift coupler for the trans. Right now the shift rod is above the torsion housing and the trans shift shaft is below it. . .
- Figure out what to do for a shifter. I think I already have this one done, but i don't want to jinx it. . .
- Hook-up the EFI and all the wiring and fuel system.

I lowered it down to see how it's riding and while it looks great, I may raise it up about an inch since it's almost riding on the bump-stops.

Well time to START my Christmas shopping. . . (I do better under pressure)
doc
Site Admin

Re: Finalized the motor/trans placement in the Square

Post by doc »

Nice work. Great pics! 8)

doc
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

type 4 motors always look like they belong in a type 3 to me. Hydraulic clutch will solve your clutch issues. As far as linking the shift rod to the hockey stick, a coupler with a universal joint at both ends might do it.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

When Jake put the 923 trans in his double cab didnt he make a beautiful shiftrod coupler from sealed heim-joints? might see if it's working as well as it looks and incorporate something similar
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Looking good!

In a Bus it's all pretty open back there, so there's room to put the shaft at an angle and run U-Joints.

On a T3, I suspect a Z bend with a flex coupler at the trans is the ticket, solid attached at the rod.
(That's how it's done with a Bug, the T3 already has a hole in the tunnel in the right place)

I'm still tempted to fit a side shifter and steal a cable shifter off a Honda or something.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

The bus has a completely different arrangement for the shifting. The shift tube is under the bus and you can tap into it anywhere along the run; that's what Jake did and it was an elegant solution. Unfortunately it's not that way with the T-3. It'll be a bit like when you add a bus box to a bug only about 5" of drop and you will have to actually reach fwd a few degrees to catch the shift shaft on the tranny. I "think" I have it figured out, but I won't know until I try it. That's the next order of business.