car rear.JPG
car d. side.JPG
fastback primer 005.jpg
fastback primer 006.jpg
heater channel 1.jpg
random stuff 044.jpg
random stuff 053.jpg
random stuff 059.jpg
Ok I'm teaching myself pics and I haven't ever done a build tread for my Fasty anywhere before.
Thanks Everyone on STF that has helped me with my Type 4 engine build for this car.
Here's a few random pics to start.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! If it is, upgrade it!
supaninja

Re: My 1967 VW Fastback build

Post by supaninja »

Looks good dude!
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

Good lookin' car!!

You're gonna have a blast.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

I miss my old '67 fastback now. I had pie in the sky dreams for it, did an IRS swap out of a '69 (just unbolted and rebolted the whole rear ends), added chromed adjustable spring plates, and a new windshield seal. We drove it once out in the desert when we got it running with a weber progressive carb. manifold on the pancake engine and a hokey 30PICT carb. sitting on a homemade adapter sticking up out of the decklid. The throttle cable and gas pedal didn't even work but we wanted to drive it so bad my old business partner sat in the rear seat area and pulled on a cable through the rear seat when I told him to to work the carb. Didn't even have a drivers' seat, I was sitting on a folding chair. :) :lol:

We went tearing around out in the desert running over sage bushes and up and down long tracts like it was a pro rally car, no brakes, when we wanted to stop I told him to let of the gas and I would pull the e-brake and it would drag to a stop. Good times, good times. I wound up moving out of town and of the four cars I had that was one I couldn't take with. Now I'm down to one car (bus) which is plenty.

Good luck with it.
fasty67

Post by fasty67 »

PB040070.JPG
PB040071.JPG
PB040072.JPG
PB040073.JPG
Here's a few pics of the exhaust that I've been working on.
Used a Porsche 914 and the type 3 headers that I had to come up with all the crazy bends.
I went off of a tangerine racing design and tweaked it to my desires.
I put the flange down in the center under the trans mount so if I do hit the ground there is more than just tubing to get smashed, hopefully the flange will be the strenth needed to keep it from bending/breaking on impact. Also of course it had to come apart somewhere or the exhaust wouldn't come off the engine. If I leave the center flang bolted together and unbolt the header from the heads it won't come off. GREAT fitment. I'm so proud of myself.
So I figured the cheapest I could buy and exhaust for was about $250 and It might need mods to fit in the car. The two shops I checked out in town quoted between $400-$600 for a full new setup. I spent nothing on the pipes, $30 for the muffler and somehow $50 on the collector, gasket, flanges and a tapered tube to mount the muffler. But still not bad under $100 to build this baby. I've got the collector and muffler mounted since the pics, just need to go through and fix up some of my pathetic welds on this thing
by the way, love the story jadewombat!!!!!! sounds like something that any great Vdubber would do just to get in and RIDE!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fasty67

Post by fasty67 »

NEW BRAKES!!!!!!!
Got some new calipers for the front. Adjusted the rears. Found out the hard way I need new seals at he bottom of the reservoir. thank goodness those are only 2.95 each. too bad my rear armrest clips are $10 each, ouch.
Score on the ebay deal NEW caliper pair for $95 shipped.
So far so good... no leaks, ask later if you're thinking about buying some
IMG_20121227_221953.jpg
IMG_20121227_221425.jpg
TRYING to figure out voltage regulator. Type 4 engine, Bosch AL75X alternator, Beck Arnley/japanese voltage regulator. I have the wires from the alternator, big red one to starter for direct connection to battery, then the little red, green and brown wires with NO pigtail/connector. I need to see a pigtail that pugs into a 72-74ish VW bus, Porsche 914 or VW 411/412 so I can figure out which terminals on the regulator to connect to which color wires.

CAN YOU SHOW ME THE BACK OF THE PIG TAIL THE PLUGS INTO THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR? PLEASE?
damo99

Post by damo99 »

fasty67 wrote:
PB040070.JPG
PB040071.JPG
PB040072.JPG
PB040073.JPG
Here's a few pics of the exhaust that I've been working on.
Used a Porsche 914 and the type 3 headers that I had to come up with all the crazy bends.
I went off of a tangerine racing design and tweaked it to my desires.
I put the flange down in the center under the trans mount so if I do hit the ground there is more than just tubing to get smashed, hopefully the flange will be the strenth needed to keep it from bending/breaking on impact. Also of course it had to come apart somewhere or the exhaust wouldn't come off the engine. If I leave the center flang bolted together and unbolt the header from the heads it won't come off. GREAT fitment. I'm so proud of myself.
So I figured the cheapest I could buy and exhaust for was about $250 and It might need mods to fit in the car. The two shops I checked out in town quoted between $400-$600 for a full new setup. I spent nothing on the pipes, $30 for the muffler and somehow $50 on the collector, gasket, flanges and a tapered tube to mount the muffler. But still not bad under $100 to build this baby. I've got the collector and muffler mounted since the pics, just need to go through and fix up some of my pathetic welds on this thing
by the way, love the story jadewombat!!!!!! sounds like something that any great Vdubber would do just to get in and RIDE!
love the exhaust that looks excellent and at a good price too
fasty67

Post by fasty67 »

Just finished the gas tank. All nice and fresh and clean and coated on the inside. Brand new; gas cap gasket, sending unit seal, screen and outlet. Worked out nice, I used Eastwood gas tank sealer. It took 12lbs of baking soda to nuetralize my 4 gallon mix of dirty 50/50 muriatic acid/water mix. that was crazy, took 3 days of slowly adding a little at a time, it was like science class volcano's all over again.
gearheadgreg

Post by gearheadgreg »

Any updates?
Dealer for Alloy Wheels & Period H4s and Fog/Driving Lights

http://www.greggearhead.com
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

Yes, updates please. . .