new report on fuel pump (Walbro inline) for fuel injection

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
jaywithtype3

new report on fuel pump (Walbro inline) for fuel injection

Post by jaywithtype3 »

New report on fuel pump for type 3
Altho no one has said why new/rebuilt working 3-port pumps cannot be found, I have verified in testing an inline 2-port Walbro pump GSL392 for replacement . It requires ~7 volts & ~5 amps for good flow & 28 psi+ pressure. I put 1 ohm resistor in series to take up extra power rather than overdrive pump & fuel, as seen & heard.
Instructions with pump give no specs & are short on electrical & plumbing. Need to rig water-proof connection to 6-32 thread terminals with #12 wire splicers & maybe add silicone. Use spades to go in original pump connector. Couple on J-bend of 15 inches of 5/16 copper tubing to bring outlet around near inlet for connection to VW’s fuel damper & to main line. Inlet connects to filter & tank. (Pump has 1/8 FIP threads; use their pipe to barb adapters & copper seal, or other 1/8 plumbing. VW system does regulation & only returns to tank) .
Room under tank to rig clamp to put pump where old one was, BUT pump needs ~11 inches & must mount higher, farther back, and closer to car center, by ~ 2 inches each, with new hole in plate, standoff, & redone clamp.
For a good short illustrated report on theory & rebuild of 3-port pump, see document on British Type 3&4 Forum. It doesnt cover all issues. A link is in post after my post, on their Workshop.
Thanks to several advisors under my first fuel pump topic to get this far.
supaninja

Re: new report on fuel pump (Walbro inline) for fuel inject

Post by supaninja »

I don't understand why you dropped the voltage to the pump. The more voltage to the pump the less current it draws and ultimately the longer it lasts. I originally ran a walbro through a Ljet regulator (fixed 30 psi) and it worked just fine. Any excess flow just gets returned to the tank. BTW- walbro's are rather whiny, that is normal. I have a filter to the inlet of mine and it gets real loud when it's time to clean it.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

More over thinking and back yard over engineering for problems that really don't exist. . . Brought to you by jaywithtype3 :wink:
jaywithtype3

Post by jaywithtype3 »

overlooking backyard sniping, easy to see, using variable voltage supply, that increasing V to pump is accompanied with increasing I (& flow) in real test with kerosene.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

MS3 can actually do variable fuel pressure regulation via PWM if you are inclined to go for absolute overkill...
PWM alternator voltage control too.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
gearheadgreg

Post by gearheadgreg »

Can MS3 handle the amp load to PWM a pump?
Dealer for Alloy Wheels & Period H4s and Fog/Driving Lights

http://www.greggearhead.com
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

gearheadgreg wrote:Can MS3 handle the amp load to PWM a pump?
Using the proper driver transistor, yes.
(This is a real feature folks are using...)

In fact, the 2 std mainboard injector drivers each are rated to IIRC 10-12A, if you have an MS3X they are available for ~any other purpose, and probably ~ideal for that purpose, possibly need a mod for reverse voltage spikes, but it's been done.

Unless you are running a roller cell pump, one channel would likely be more than sufficient.

I would personally be inclined to use an external DC solid state relay if only to keep the electrical noise out of the ECU, same as ignition coils.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.