type 3 in garage - partial mess

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
aircooledtechguy

Re: type 3 in garage - partial mess

Post by aircooledtechguy »

Who's hyd M/C is that?? I used the one that goes in the tunnel and I'm not impressed. Once more issue with it and I'm going to move to a Vanagon MC just outside the tunnel similar to what you have going there.

Nice progress!!
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

aircooledtechguy wrote:Who's hyd M/C is that?? I used the one that goes in the tunnel and I'm not impressed. Once more issue with it and I'm going to move to a Vanagon MC just outside the tunnel similar to what you have going there.

Nice progress!!

I don't remember who's M/C this is. It came with the hydraulic kit. If I was home and not bored to death at work, I would be able to tell you (or maybe not because i would be in the garage actually working on this car!).

I have stayed super busy even though I haven't posted any progress or pictures or updates or anything in a long time. I originally fab'd some intake manifolds and put throttle bodies from a Honda CBR1000RR on there, but just last weekend, I decided that just wasn't going to fly. I didn't like the throttle action. I didn’t like the linkage I made. I didn’t like that I totally whiffed on the throttle stop and idle speed screw. After telling my wife (she is my Project Manager) about my problems, she said, “just buy something else!” haha! Ok! I bought some aluminum tubing and some mandrel bends. I also bought a replacement / aftermarket 70mm throttle body for a Honda Civic. I was really excited about this car again. Unfortunately I live in a bad neighborhood and one of my lovely neighbors saw a big box on my porch that was delivered by FedEx and they couldn’t resist. Why doesn’t everybody require a signature unless otherwise requested not to? I can imagine my lovely neighbor was pretty disappointed when they opened the box and found what is probably only a couple dollars worth of scrap aluminum.
I hope this person gets in a car crash and flips upside down in a creek. The crash puts half of their head under water with one nostril open to air and a piece of chrome trim poking them in one eye so that every time they try to turn their head to get a good breath of air, the chrome pokes them right in the eye.
I am going to work on shrinking some pictures and get them uploaded. I know how much I love to look at pictures and so hopefully everyone else does too.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

been making some major changes...
shop-001.jpg
shop-001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

I like the direction this is going. . .
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

finally had enough. i am way too stupid to do fuel injection. just pulled all of my "custom" stuff off and threw it in a box. even beat on part of it with a hammer. why a hammer? i removed the wrong screw and part of the manifold wouldn't come off, so i started beating on it. proof i am too stupid for fuel injection. i have my credit card in hand am going to buy some carburetors and a distributor.

some might be thinking what was the problem. i couldn't get my ecu to turn on. put juice to it 3 different ways. i am done. spent 5 years on this and can't waste anymore time. got to move on! i neeed this car to run. it is not a hobby (as most of my "friends" think).

i'll be back to post pictures of the carburetor progress. too bad i didn't save the carbs that came with this car.

(edited to make nicer)
Last edited by squeakie on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

fixed
Last edited by squeakie on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

megasquirt, wire harness, sensors, throttle body, manifold, injectors, miscellaneous wires, etc, all for sale. pictures and more pictures upon request. i think $500 is reasonable. make offer. just ordered $900 worth of 1930's tech from cbperformance. that makes me over $2,000 into this and still with a non-running engine. buying and selling parts on the internet is stupid.

(removed the suicidal parts just in case i really do die! hahaha)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Oh, Duuuude... :cry: :evil:
There's are herds of folks who would have happily checked out/fixed your ECU free or cheap.

Note: Carbs don't like hammers either, and can't usually be fixed if broken.

Try to buy a decent linkage for the carbs at least, or you'll be taking the hammer to them RSN.
And buy a snail flowmeter, now. The EMPI one actually works perfectly well.

The little floaty ball style (Unisyn) would (at best) end up in your trash can within 10 minutes of attempting to use it.
Unisyns really belong in the jaws of a large vise, cranked closed with a hammer, just to stop the spread of stupid.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I applaud your efforts, do what makes you happy not the keyboard experts. I never understood the mentality of having something you don't enjoy.

While I personalty (think) I have the skill to run on all zeros and ones, I also have no fear of points and kind of like carburetors. Only two centuries of success so far.

Snail type flow meters are way better than that floaty ball style unisynch. One works on airflow and the other is a restrictive style strangulation device. If you buy one, spend the extra coin.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

i'll be back later in like a year or so to try again. i am just far too pissed now to even think about anything clearly. i wanted a fuel injected and turbo'd volkswagen sooooo bad. i see everybody doing this and having very good luck. i assumed mine would come together at least decently well. i had the jstim plugged in and the ECU worked. plugged it into power on the workbench and it worked. put it in the car and apply power to everything single place i could think of and double-check with a multi-meter. nothing.
i really really should have bought the carbs first. i tend to overshare. i should stop typing right now.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

I won't try to talk you out of getting it running, hang onto the MS though. You're not stupid either.

It's frustrating, been there several times in my life with no one to help. Let the MS sit in a box for a while and think about what it's done. After it's done being in time out for a while, try again converting to ignition-only. Much later on fuel settings. I've run into at least two unexplainable, no solution problems with MS. Like any computer on this planet though, eventually you figure out a work-around.

Keep the T3s alive!
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

i really appreciate the kind words. you guys are truly awesome. that MS is indeed in a box having a time-out! (even though i should probably be the one taking a time-out. haha.)
i got the carbs, i got the snail type flow meter. i spent several hours going through them and while setting the float level, i broke part of the top of one of the pieces of the foam! jeeeez! hahahaha. i wasn't mad. i ordered a new one - be here monday. i figured what the heck, i will keep going and throw them on the engine and put gas to it and see what happens. after dealing with a wonky ground to engine.......... OH SHEEEEEEEEET.......... OH FUDGE........... ARE YOU PUTTING 2 AND 2 TOGETHER NOW? my MS wouldn't turn on. oh man oh man. son of a ..................... whew. ok, taking deep breaths.... ok. i started typing all of this to tell you guys about the leaking oil fitting on the side of my case (going to the oil filter and thermostat) and by typing this, i just realized that maybe why my MS wouldn't turn ... i can't even finish.
anyway, back to the case, it is leaking. A LOT. i told my son this morning, "i can't believe this car hasn't leaked any oil in over a week". it has been sitting with oil in it and not leaking at all. i was feeling really good about that. this evening, after running the engine for several minutes, it is pouring oil on the floor. really looks like it is coming out of the case - the threads for the oil fitting - or maybe the case itself is cracked. daggonnit! haha. either way, i ain't mad. maybe extremely bi-polar, but not mad. side-note, a coworker said maybe i was bi-polar. i replied, "i have been accused of that before."
anyway, long story short, engine is coming out. how far apart it needs to come is yet to be seen. oh yeah, why did it only run for a few minutes? that linkage on the webers is FUNKY. you guys are right. i always wondered about it, now i know.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

DEEP BREATHS....

Picture of where it leaks?
Use Permatex anerobic thread sealant with teflon #565 or equivalent on plugs etc--- You do NOT have to crank the plugs in OMG tight with that stuff, it will seal and hold 10K PSI, just give it awhile to set, or some heat.

There is a great fix for CB Hexbars.
You could probably make something that works better primarily using coat hangers.
(I would suggest that as a challenge, but then I'd have to put carbs on and I am greatly disinclined)

My hexbard is probably still in its box where it skulked back to after about a month of jacking with it.
It was almost worth it for the air cleaners, although you can get decent dry media air cleaners for Webers now.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

taking deeeep breaths. :wink: i woke up this morning just feeling weird. feeling like something was missing and then i remembered... the leak. i have the good permatex tapered thread sealant. it really looks like the case is cracked (or possibly where i welded it?) it is a type 3 and the 'experts' recommend building the case up in this area to have enough meat for the oil fittings for external cooler, filter, and thermostat. i will get pictures today.

as it sits currently:
IMG_20170415_165003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

i am super happy today. i moved my car into the backyard (no easy task and it only ran away once)
IMG_20170416_102137.jpg
and started removing the cooling bits. i wasn't very far into it when i saw it. i found what was leaking oil. oh my goodness. :oops:

take a look at the pictures:
IMG_20170416_162715.jpg
IMG_20170416_162708.jpg
IMG_20170416_162706.jpg
IMG_20170416_162703.jpg
that little pipe plug was finger tight. not super easy to get to, but i took my time and got it. i will be trying to start this car again tomorrow. woohoo. :D