type 3 in garage - partial mess

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
squeakie

Re: type 3 in garage - partial mess

Post by squeakie »

ok, I found some pictures before I started fixing the water / air separator and a picture or two of the cowl removed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Note to self: remove that rusty bit and weld a solid bit in where the vents are.
(My AC setup required removing the airbox, reworking the wiper setup etc so it would sit up under the dash level)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Yeah, that thing is one helluva water catcher / holder for creating some nasty rust.

I am thinking this will be my build thread. I hope it is cool to keep posting pictures and not a lot of text. I take a lot of pictures....
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Did a little more welding on my A-pillars. I could theoretically put the windshield back in right now and not have a leaker. This is a huge step for me that isn't really a huge step in the grand scheme, but it feels pretty good.
You can see in the one picture, the small hole in the sunroof drain tube. I welded that up first, but I don't know if there are other holes that can't be seen. I am going to see about pouring POR-15 into the tube from above and hope it plugs any holes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

another picture heavy post. i hope no one minds. i think we all like to see a lot of pictures - i know i sure do!
:D
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

do these shocks look ok to you?
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

I broke the head off of the passenger side upper shock mount screw. After spending considerable time and effort cutting the shock off of the screw, I was then able to find a nut to fit. I drilled out the nut so that it fit fairly well on the screw shank and threw the meat to it (TIG weld). I love my TIG welder. What make and model, you ask? I'll tell you! :wink: Miller 330AB/P. This thing is a hoss.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Miller 330 AB/P== Awesome ancient 400+A Tig/stick machine if you have room.
(and a good slab to set it on)

I think fusername has it's cousin in red, (Lincoln equivalent, same vintage)
(note: for scale, its sitting on a 4x4 pallet so it can be moved)
Back in the day, machines were rated@100% duty cycle, so could deliver 330amps all day long.
"tiny", my Synchro 250 is rated the same way, will do 300++ amps at 40% duty, 250@100%
(It's about 1/2 the height)

When alien archaeologists visit earth in a million years, these old TIG welders will probably be all that still stands.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Piledriver wrote:Miller 330 AB/P== Awesome ancient 400+A Tig/stick machine if you have room.

When alien archaeologists visit earth in a million years, these old TIG welders will probably be all that still stands.
I am just a hack weldor, so I was hesitant to buy it (pedal, torch, chiller, etc) for $600 about 3 years ago. My buddy, who has been a weldor all his life, learned how to weld on a 330AB/P. He told me that not only will this machine be here in a million years, it will still work. :D

To continue with a little more bragging... my buddy has now moved on up to running one of the largest electron beam welders in the country. Now that thing can melt some metal. The pictures below are showing a piece of 300 series stainless with a nice fat EB weld right through.
lakedawgs

Post by lakedawgs »

I live in Beech Grove in the SE side of Indy.
Good stuff! Just bought a '66 Squareback I am tearing down in my garage. Wish I had your so called 'hack' welding skills. Bought my first, crappy wire welder a few months ago, just need to practice more. Long term project for my son and I.
The wife was pretty excited on the day we got her.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

that car looks great. I hope it is in better shape underneath than mine. :-)
I haven't posted in a while... changed jobs a couple times and have been really working hard on my car even though it doesn't really look like it.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

squeakie

Post by squeakie »

practicing my stainless TIG welding... this looks TERRIBLE. i am almost embarrassed to post this, but the other pictures coming should make up for it. :twisted:
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

i welded this in halves - left handed and then right handed.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

10 is the maximum attachments per post. hee-hee. i'll just add more later! :D