type 3 in garage - partial mess

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
squeakie

Re: type 3 in garage - partial mess

Post by squeakie »

nogoodwithusernames wrote:Hey, I'm looking for TBs that will fit under the T3 engine cover and I found one of these throttle bodies (super cheap like you said!) but it looks like one piece, so I was wondering how you set up your linkage after cutting the thing in half?
the linkage is the hardest part of the whole thing. i made up some brackets and used some bicycle cables i will post some pictures of what it looks like.

the throttle bodies just unscrew right in the middle. that is the easiest part of the whole thing.
:D
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Corysvdub wrote:Like the exhaust, pretty sweet Squeakie!
thank you! i am super proud of that exhaust. makes me want to make something for the wife's car! ...umm, probably better not do that...
:shock:
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

squeakie wrote:
thank you! i am super proud of that exhaust. makes me want to make something for the wife's car! ...umm, probably better not do that...
My girlfriend wants me to turbo her Squareback. I had to tell her "do you know how much work is involved"? Lol
Type 3 Subaru powered EJ25
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Corysvdub wrote:
squeakie wrote:
My girlfriend wants me to turbo her Squareback. I had to tell her "do you know how much work is involved"? Lol
Nonono "Baby, do you know how much money that will cost?"

I'm sure she doesn't mind you working hard for her.
Cost is a much better defensive position.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

some close ups of the throttle setup. i hope these pictures look OK (had to resize)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fusername

Post by fusername »

oh man I had to search my own username to find my builds and I came across this thread as well... this is dangerous. I just found $700 square back (no engine or trans) and now I really want to buy it.... I also still need to make that custom exhaust for my bus i promised myself when I bought my tombstone!

thanks for the motivation (I think my wallet feels differently tho)
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

A squareback can be an awesome car, but t3 specific body/ft suspension repair bits are far less common than t1.
A T4 can fit in it better than the original motor in several ways, and a real automatic trans is a thing on IRS cars.
With the T4 bus heat exchangers the heater can cook you out.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
fusername

Post by fusername »

I have a set of mint T4 heat exchangers I bought by accident (who ACTUALLY means type 4 when they say type 4) and way more parts to build a new T4 motor than a T1 so I am thinking it wouldn't be crazy. its the bellows that is a nightmare to plan out. Also the square was an auto, and I would only want a manual. I have a manual SSC tranny in unknown condition but would an auto pan have provisions for manual stuff? I know the autostick bugs had some midyear weirdness where the early ones don't have a clutch cable tube etc.

finding this square talked me out of buying a corrado for parts, i am not sure if I came out ahead. I'll probably go try to see teh square over the weekend and see what the rust is like. I wonder what I would build out of the square...
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
fusername

Post by fusername »

I actually had to cut the fenders a little more to get it home. 235s and lifted spindles, you'd think it would fit...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

That fits, for most definitions of "fits", you just need air shocks :twisted:
I assume you had a fork lift...
A video of getting it back out could have been either an epic comedy or tragedy.

Those have a crane lift loop on top for good reason.
The word "portable" was not found anywhere in the manuals for those.

//thread hijack begin
The T3 bellows is not a feature, its really not needed at ALL. The new ones all seem to be garbage, so i punted on third down.

I just use a bit of 6" wide silicone coated fiberglass fabric, with a spring tensioned wire on either end pulling it closed.
You could probably use some sort of high temp elastic or parachute cord, I used insulated 20ga wire with crimped on loops and carb return springs...
If I actually cared i would have carefully sewn it up the 2 cable runs with kevlar thread, but I just used RTV. Snaps would work too.

If it leaks it doesn't show up in the CHT on 100F++ days.

Make the T4 adapter bit the same size/location as the attachment loop around the hole in the body, give it a ~1 inch even gap, and its on/off in 30 seconds. I wrapped some 1/4" brake line around mine and tacked in place, makes for a no-cut edge.

The metal bit is almost as fast to R&R if you build it like mine, used 1" 5/16" hex OD, 10/32 steel standoff nuts, drilled and tapped for 6mm, 2 on the bottom and one on top, all accessible outside the adapter.

Would be easiest to make those "long headed bolts" with locktited in studs, lack of bits sticking out makes removing the adapter for whatever a lot easier.

You don't actually have to remove the adapter from the car to replace the belt,.

If i had a T3 motor in it i'd likely do the same.

I think I put pics in the "T4 into T3" thread with Nates pattern, but mine has evolved a bit over time Because Welder.
//thread hijack end
fusername

Post by fusername »

see the rip in the door rubber? that was from the lifting hook on top of the welder. it fit *exactly* in there on a rickety rickety fork jack.

squeakie

Post by squeakie »

finally got back into the partial mess and have been making some progress. i have quite a few pictures to dump, but for now, i am just going to drop this:
0410161337.jpg
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

finally got my fuel cell figured out. don't have it bolted down yet, but i thought this picture looked cool
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

i think a weld broke somewhere in the clutch cable assembly... i dreaded the thought of cutting the tunnel, so i thought i would be clever and buy a hydraulic clutch kit. no, i didn't buy the right one.

getting it laid out:
0402160736a.jpg
got it cut and found a lot more mouse nest (whew, it smelled bad):
0402160747.jpg
after lots and lots of thinking and trying, i came up with something almost stupid simple:
0402161134.jpg
it looks like it will fit here like it was MADE to:
0402161143.jpg
of course in this picture, it isn't pushed all the way into its home yet. that was me not quite believing it was going to be this easy. no, i did not want to cut the tunnel! after messing around for weeks, i realized that i had to cut the tunnel and i already bought the hydraulic clutch bits. i did what i usually do - write checks that i can't cash! just got lucky this time.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

That's a great idea, I never thought of extending out through the tunnel.