type 3 in garage - partial mess

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
dorkie

type 3 in garage - partial mess

Post by dorkie »

I started with the install of my "new" front fenders. I had to take the old fenders off first and found lots and lots of rust. You might be able to see the big hole over the driver's side front wheel and the big hole at the fresh air vent. It made me a little sad, but I gotta power through... :|

Too bad we make cars out of steel and too bad steel has to rust. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dorkie

Re: type 3 in garage - partial mess

Post by dorkie »

I can weld patch panels - no problem. I can just put a piece of metal over the hole over my fresh air box, but you can see from the pictures here that the seal around it won't seal anymore:

what it looked like when i started:

(edited so pictures will show)
Last edited by dorkie on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dorkie

Post by dorkie »

I decided to make some "new" type 3 tins from some new type 1 tins. My original tins are in really bad shape and I have not had much luck (haven't really tried very hard either) in finding decent type 3 tins. Here are some pictures from the "day-out-of-real-work and day-in-garage-for-fake-work":
:D

I plan to put a divider inside this portion to split the air "evenly" between the cylinders:

sketch of divider because I don't have a good picture of it yet:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BC2L ... ivider.jpg
bullyboy

Post by bullyboy »

original type 3 tins are still plentiful, where are you located?
dorkie

Post by dorkie »

I am in Indiana. at this point I feel like making my own is going to be somewhat rewarding. it is going much better than I had anticipated.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

...I'm trying to visualize how you are going to split/adjust the airflow like that.
Perhaps perforated metal?
You need to also bias the flow to the heads, mostly.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
dorkie

Post by dorkie »

Oh yes, definitely will bias towards the heads. When looking at the stock type 3 tins, they have very little in the way of vanes for directing airflow. There is a little dam on the roof that seems to want to direct flow between the cylinders. I will get some more pictures today.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

ok, so i used to be "dorkie" on shoptalkforums. without going into far too many personal details, i have had a huge change in my life recently and i am a much, much better person. i'll just say this, my mental state isn't quite the roller coaster as it had been for the last 34 years. the new screen name is part of my 'reset'.

now for the fun. finally got my engine into its home. man oh man, i am excited. i just wish the rest of the car was ready. :|

the engine wouldn't go in with the throttle bodies (TB's)* in place. in fact, i couldn't even place the TB's and intake manifolds onto the heads with the injectors installed!

*i only spelled out the acronym because i always have trouble with them and figured it might help someone else. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bullyboy

Post by bullyboy »

have you figured out an airbox or filter solution for your application?
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

bullyboy wrote:have you figured out an airbox or filter solution for your application?
no, i sure haven't. i have been doing a little brainstorming today and bouncing some ideas off of a few friends and nothing is sticking yet.

i sketched this up as a starting point, but don't see yet how i will be able to attach it -
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You have the right idea, but consider some 3" tubing off to the side and a divided slot feed plenum.
Then just connect to some airboxes over a pair of small oiled foam filters, and plumb that to a hole in the cold air feed plenum.

:twisted: Of course the simple fix would be a T4 swap, you could pretty much bolt your ITBs/adapter plate directly to the heads.
(I may have to get a set of those ITBs)

I "secured" my home-build hall module assy to the side of my (now with 36-2 wheel) 009 with gas tank repair putty. Stuff really rocks.
(yep, too lazy to make it adjustable)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Cat Box

Post by Cat Box »

What are you TB's off of?
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Cat Box wrote:What are you TB's off of?

They came off of a 2004/05 Honda CBR1000RR motorcycle. I got them via ebay for cheeeap. I also found a wiring harness for the same bike so that got me the connectors for the fuel injectors and the coil packs with connectors.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

The main reason for the major rain collection inside my car was from the fresh air / water separator. It was in pretty bad shape before I started. I didn't get pictures of it before I started welding on it.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

I really hate bodywork and I really thought this car was in better shape when I bought it. I definitely had a BIG pair of rose-colored glasses on when I looked at it. All of the warning signs were there, I just didn't want to see them. Anyway, it keeps me off the streets. Here are some pictures of the driver's side A-pillar welding (had to weld in a new windshield cowl) and pictures of the heater channel rust and rocker panel rust. Notice a theme here? :roll: