Front beam, 69 FB

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.

Front beam, 69 FB

Post by 560 »

I am looking to re build the whole beam assembly nut to nut.
and good places to buy German parts at good prices?

Or would it be easier/cheaper to get a complete beam and just swap it out.
Not much advertised in the magazines for T3s.
Thanks,

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
Marc

Re: Front beam, 69 FB

Post by Marc »

The last Type III was 1973, whereas German Beetle production continued through late in 1978 - and Brazilian & Mexican Bugs were built for years after that, which is where the replacement parts have been coming from for decades...no such source for the Type III. Reproduction ball joints and tierod ends are still produced, an the steering box is the same as a Bug's but for nearly everything else you've got to find good-used or NOS parts that have been collecting dust somewhere for over 40 years.
Marc wrote:...In addition to regular lubrication, Type IIIs also need the endplay of the upper control arms checked and periodically adjusted and most people are completely unaware. The thrust pieces and bearings take a beating, and good used upper control arms and stabilizer bars are few & far between...
It was hard enough finding good pieces when scrounging the wrecking yards 30 years ago, I can't imagine that the situation has improved any. In recent years some folks have actually started grafting Beetle beams onto the Type III chassis.

Post by 560 »

Thanks for the info Marc, once again you have put forth great information.
Running the car on the salt flats this fall and just want to make sure everything is in proper working condition for my well being. I just want to make sure that everything is in GOOD working order.

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

560 wrote:Thanks for the info Marc, once again you have put forth great information.
Running the car on the salt flats this fall and just want to make sure everything is in proper working condition for my well being. I just want to make sure that everything is in GOOD working order.

Mike
I have a complete front-end with nearly new tie rods, calipers & S/S hoses that I could be talked out of if you need it. None of the parts have over 5K miles on them. It's the old front-end off the Squarsche that will never be re-installed. I'm up in Anacortes off exit 230 off I-5.

Are you planning to compete at Speed Week in Sept or the world finals??

My son and I are planing a trip to Speed Week. Our goal is membership in the 130 club in the Squarsche. We'll see how t goes. . . We may be the first 2 folks to ever run type-3s at Bonneville!!

Post by 560 »

Thanks for the reply Nate. Yep, speedweek for us. (if the weather holds out this year)
What are you using for front suspension now?
I am looking for new parts etc etc as I have never driven the car I have now. Bought it with massed up fuel injection and will not run. So I figured I would just replace EVERYTHING front to back in the drive train. Can I get a bit more details on the beam and everything that goes with it please, so I can plan what else I might need for complete install.
Side note Nate, any info on your car you care to share?
Thanks

Mike
Jackpot motorsports
dorkie

Post by dorkie »

i hope i am not stepping on Nate's toes, but here is his build thread:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 4&t=138443
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

You know the answer already, Averys Aircooled!
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

I'm out of town at the moment but should be back mid week next week and could send you photos of it then.

From memory, it's 100% complete w/ steering box, shocks rotors etc.

I'm finishing up the latest rounds of upgrades to my car. My son is going to be building a 2316cc T-4 motor before we go to Bonneville. I'm gathering the parts for a new MS3X EFI system w/ sequential injection and COP. I hope it's done in time. . . :lol:

What are you going to be running in yours?? What class(s) are you competing in??

Post by 560 »

Steve Arndt wrote:You know the answer already, Averys Aircooled!
Todd sold the building AND the business. But it is still alive, just farther North with new owners that I do not know. I like to keep the money around and in the family if you know what I am talking about. :wink:

Mike
Jackpot motorsports

Post by 560 »

dorkie wrote:i hope i am not stepping on Nate's toes, but here is his build thread:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 4&t=138443
Thanks for the link, I need to start reading up. This is all new to me. :o

Mike
Jackpot motorsports

Post by 560 »

aircooledtechguy wrote:I'm out of town at the moment but should be back mid week next week and could send you photos of it then.

From memory, it's 100% complete w/ steering box, shocks rotors etc.

I'm finishing up the latest rounds of upgrades to my car. My son is going to be building a 2316cc T-4 motor before we go to Bonneville. I'm gathering the parts for a new MS3X EFI system w/ sequential injection and COP. I hope it's done in time. . . :lol:

What are you going to be running in yours?? What class(s) are you competing in??
When you have time for the photos is good. You can post them here or E-mail me [email protected]
I have a 2276, thinking about running kadrons. Just going to enter the 130 club this year.
From the sounds of it I will be way out from what you are building. :oops:

Mike
Jackpot motorsports