Product question

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
harryset

Product question

Post by harryset »

I went to the Best Buy online catalog, used their Car-fit calculator and came up with this Alpine CDA-105, that's supposed to fit the '72 beetle, dash.

found here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-+50 ... Id=9215413

What I want:
Play the radio
Plug in my mp3 player and listen to tunes
play cd's

Does this unit look like it would fit the bill? I am also considering hooking up 4 speakers, possibly a sub. Recommendations for a small amp?
'72 Standard
"I am the proud owner of a "Hoover Bit".

185 60's, EMPI disc kit, EMPI 2 1/2" dropped spindles on the front.
185 65's and stock binders on the back.
SecondSkin - Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro for sound control.
Fahrfrumnuvw

Re: Product question

Post by Fahrfrumnuvw »

Harryset,

I've been where you are sitting now. I took some advice from my Son and now have a sound system that I am very happy with.
It has a Sony head unit that fits into my modified dash opening. The PO had made this surgery, otherwise I would have used the glove box.

It is nice here in Reno today, I'll roll the car out, take some photos and give you some brand names and web site suggestions.

I have the head which has a thumb drive input which I didn't think I'd use, but use all of the time, it is easier than trying to hook up my MP3 player and mess with the cords. 2 - 6" x 9" speakers on a home made rear shelf plus 2 - 4.5" (I think) speakers in a front package shelf, plus a nice sub.

I listen to classic rock and like to crank it once in a while, my set up isn't super spendy, but gives me what I like.

You must be down to the short strokes if you are at the sound stage of your build. :lol:

Wayne
harryset

Post by harryset »

Thanks.

Not down to the short strokes, yet. It's too freakin cold to work out in the garage, and too expensive to run the heat when it's running anywhere from -40 to -23. So I'm thinking about what's coming up and trying to stay ahead, a little bit, in the thought processes. Gotta keep in consideration about running wires and stuff, and as long as I only have some of the sound deadening in place, it would be a good time to lay out some wire for speakers and whatever.

I would prefer to put something in the dash-hole that didn't require cutting, may go with the glove box idea. I'm going to run 4 channel for sure. Amp, sub, undecided.
'72 Standard
"I am the proud owner of a "Hoover Bit".

185 60's, EMPI disc kit, EMPI 2 1/2" dropped spindles on the front.
185 65's and stock binders on the back.
SecondSkin - Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro for sound control.
Fahrfrumnuvw

Post by Fahrfrumnuvw »

Harryset,

I would imagine the dimensions of the unit you are looking at and the Sony are similar, are you near a Bestbuy to go look?

I was at a trade show last week, met a fellow from Minnesota, he put the temperatures into perspective, he told us that one night there was a 110F difference between the outside temperature and the temperature inside his house, now that's cold!

Wayne
Fahrfrumnuvw

Post by Fahrfrumnuvw »

Harryset,

This is what I have in my car, I think amazon.com was where I bought most of the items.
- Head - Sony CDX-GT63UIW
- 6x9 speakers - Kenwood KFC6982ie
- 4.5" front speakers - cheap Walmart brand
- Sub - MB Quart RLP254 (10" flat)
- Sub box - Scosche SET10cc (truck box, less than .65sq.ft.)
- Sub amp - Alpine MRP-M500
- Sub wire kit - Walmart

The system sounded good, but adding the sub made it sound so much better, I resisted the purchase of the sub, but was so glad I made the investment once it was all working.
One note regarding installation of this set up. The amp is "turned on" by sensing the power antenna lead has power, it took me a while to realize the Sony head only powers the antenna when the radio is on, all auxiliary inputs turn this off. I had to connect the sub power switch to car power.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fahrfrumnuvw

Post by Fahrfrumnuvw »

Here are a few more photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

99% of stereos sold today are DIN or double-DIN size...About 2"x7" and 4"x7" respectively. I haven't bothered to measure a Beetle stereo, but I think they're ~3/8" shorter and narrower.

You probably don't need four speakers, two good component speakers/tweeters mounted up front can deliver good sound quality. I run two 'component' 5-1/4's w/1" tweeters and a nice 10" subwoofer and have been happy with the outcome. Several of my other bugs have only had 6x9's and a couple of cheap 10" subwoofers, and it blows them away.

Personally I like Kenwood/JVC head units - I've had issues with Blaupunkt, Dual, Sony, and Pioneer.

I haven't found a commercially available glovebox stereo unit for a late Beetle that's worth the money...I've got a $40 piece of crap from EMPI that looks like it'd fit in our Ford better.

I've got a Rockford Fosgate amp in the trunk for the Phoenix Gold speakers, and another bigger RF in the backseat for the Kicker subwoofer. Adding an amp really does do wonders.