vinyl inserts on a 99 door panel

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
bugger99

vinyl inserts on a 99 door panel

Post by bugger99 »

The vinyl is sagging and coming unglued on my 99 bug. Is the door panel 1 piece or does the vinyl arm come apart? I am wanting to reupholster it. I just bought this car so I know nothing about them yet.
Piledriver

Re: vinyl inserts on a 99 door panel

Post by Piledriver »

bugger99 wrote:The vinyl is sagging and coming unglued on my 99 bug. Is the door panel 1 piece or does the vinyl arm come apart? I am wanting to reupholster it. I just bought this car so I know nothing about them yet.
Welcome to the STF!
That is a common issue: VW had not mastered making things out of plastic or even gluing things together at that point in time. (and may still not have)

I have a 86 Cabby and 99.5 Jetta TDi in the driveway, the latter has suffered from plastic bits falling apart or off since it was new...

One learns to love 3M weatherstripping adhesive and #90 contact cement, and Duro Plastic Welders many uses.
(I actually used all three last weekend fixing the TDis drivers door panel which was disintegrating, is stronger than new now)

Many of us have newer VWs as well as the classic aircooled vehicles the STF exclusively focus on.
For clearer how-to instructions and a set of classifieds that will have some watercooled parts, I suggest vwvortex.com or TDIClub.com.

If you have (or even LIKE) an aircooled classic VW, you are always welcome here.
You will find some of the best tech info here and plenty of folks that love to suggest advanced ways to spend your money :twisted:
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
bugger99

Post by bugger99 »

thanks for the tip. who couldn't love the old school bugs? I grew up going to the bug ins down in Waco tx as a kid with my uncle.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

How about shoe glue, it has some additional purposes too. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=shoe+goo+adhesive
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

bugger99 wrote:thanks for the tip. who couldn't love the old school bugs? I grew up going to the bug ins down in Waco tx as a kid with my uncle.
Hey, the 2014 "Classic" is coming up VERY soon, might want to check it out.
It's the biggest/baddest mother of all VW shows (at least in Texas)

Waco is practically next door.
(In Texas-sort of "next door", where distance was once measured in six-packs)

http://www.texasvwclassic.com/
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

3M 1300L
this stuff is known as gorilla snot.
It will stick anything to anything.
You can use it in both "semi permanent" and "only God will get it apart" ways, depending upon how you apply it.