Soundproofing - What type and Where Put???

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
CptanPanic2

Post by CptanPanic2 »

Just wanted you to know that I have used the stuff from mcmaster.com and it is real good. Also read that people from rec.audio.car use it also.
Brian
Bare

Post by Bare »

Not the old "Dynamat" question again..
self adhesive modified asphalt membrane, also sold as Dynamat is available from a Building supplier (try one Builders actually shop at) for a few cents a square foot.. YES a roll big enough to do a VW van for $40... plus it comes in many thicknesses and even colours.. Be advised that it actually has been proven to actually do little to improve an Audio system's peformance with Melissa testing, but it will make yer ole tired car feel more solid.
Plastermaster

Post by Plastermaster »

Hello,

I havn't tried this myself but some time ago someone wrote into one of the VW mags about a product called alpha composite from WWW.acousticalsolutions.com with great success as a buffer applied to the firewall. I had them send me a sample but I have yet to pursue it any further. You can also call them at 800-782-5742 East coast time. Ask for Donnie,as she is already familiar with what we're trying to do.

LOL,
Ron
Plastermaster

Post by Plastermaster »

Hi again,

While I have your attention, How do you put foam in the doors without hurting the window regulator? and what is the "NASA stuff referred to on the 4th post above?

Thanks,
Ron
Bug Lady

Post by Bug Lady »

I just ordered some...BTW...anyone ever tried to take this stuff off? I am going to put some in Skarab just until I get the resto work done. I can't take all the noise.
ddonicht

Post by ddonicht »

I just used the stuff from McmasterCarr and it is great. They come in 3'x4' sheets with adhesive on the back. You can cut them to whatever shape with scissors. I have putting it inside the doors, the rear quarter panels, and the pan (I just coated that in POR15 too). The car is already much quieter. When I get that far in the restoration, I'll be putting it underneath the carpet in the rear luggage area and underneath the headliner. It should make it just that much more quite. :-) I ordered 4 sheets and have only used three so I still have 1 full one left to to the roof and rear area. If you have any questions, let me know.
Steve
xczk9933

Post by xczk9933 »

Guys,

I have used a few things that I will share with you?

1. The foaming stuff in a can (called "Great Stuff". This stuff will foam up and fill any voids. I used this between the engine compartment and the passenger area (first installed a couple of tubes for the necessary cables to engine). This did greatly cut down the noise! Please note that many VW's do have a insulator here of some sort, but it's probably deterioriated.
2. I found some cheap "dynomat" type stuff (with sticky back) and applied this to the doors (after finishing and painting the doors). This makes the doors feel heavy and solid! Also cuts down much on the noise (esp. road noise).
3. Used the same cheap "dynomat" stuff on the rear shelf. I will let you know I only installed two sheets of this stuff, and the difference was GREAT!!! This goes to prove that something in this area is very much required. This was done after I have painted the rear shelf area.

This is just to give you guys some ideas and all.

Thanks,

David
Hypervyper

Post by Hypervyper »

STOP PRESS

Be very careful using expanding foam as it will draw moisture in and cause rusting from the inside out! It's alost an arse to contain and expands everywhere. Don't put it i the doors or it will foul up the drain holes!!!

If you live in a hot climate then go for it if a temperate (and wet) climate then IMHO don't do it

Vyper 0]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xczk9933:
<B>Guys,

1. The foaming stuff in a can (called "Great Stuff". This stuff will foam up and fill any voids. I used this between the engine compartment and the passenger area (first installed a couple of tubes for the necessary cables to engine). This did greatly cut down the noise! Please note that many VW's do have a insulator here of some sort, but it's probably deterioriated.
2. I found some cheap "dynomat" type stuff (with sticky back) and applied this to the doors (after finishing and painting the doors). This makes the doors feel heavy and solid! Also cuts down much on the noise (esp. road noise).
3. Used the same cheap "dynomat" stuff on the rear shelf. I will let you know I only installed two sheets of this stuff, and the difference was GREAT!!! This goes to prove that something in this area is very much required. This was done after I have painted the rear shelf area.

Thanks,

David</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hypervyper

Post by Hypervyper »

STOP PRESS

Be very careful using expanding foam as it will draw moisture in and cause rusting from the inside out! It's alost an arse to contain and expands everywhere. Don't put it i the doors or it will foul up the drain holes!!!

If you live in a hot climate then go for it if a temperate (and wet) climate then IMHO don't do it

Vyper 0]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xczk9933:
<B>Guys,

Thanks,

David</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
bullyboy

Post by bullyboy »

I did go to Home Depot and did what you suggested. The stuff I saw there was what people call "a membrane" and is used between the wood roof and shingles to give an extra layer of waterproofing for winter use (also called an "ice dam")
Hey martin
That is the stuff. The kind I found here has gravel on the back side so i have to try elsewhere. If you look at the original dynamat product description and the soundproofing description, it is virtually the same product just called different things and packaged differently.
Brian P

Post by Brian P »

I am an MECP certified installer who deals with Dynamat on a daily basis. I have probably installed enough Dynamat in the past 5 years to wrap around my bug 50 times. In certain cases Dynamat will, when properly applied, deaden sound. I will be honest and say that most of us installers just use it as something to stop rattles, not deaden sound.
Plastermaster

Post by Plastermaster »

O.K. Everybody,

I installed the alpha composite from accoustical sollutions (see above).

It does work well!

Ron
krems

Post by krems »

ok....i plan to use the eDead v3 (it was discussed earlier) in my bug...thing is....its in the shop right now getting interior work done....and then its going to get painted....so question, can it be used in place of the stock insulation in the engine?