Meier Line AC

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
72super

Meier Line AC

Post by 72super »

Hi- I acquired a 69' bug that had meier line air conditioning, I would like to know just general information about it. I have nothing on it and as much information as you can give me would be great.
Faltoga

Re: Meier Line AC

Post by Faltoga »

Hey, I purchased a 1969 VW Beetle brand new in 1969 and had the Meier Line AC in it. All I can tell you is that the unit was dealer installed and cost me a lot of money! The condenser was under the front of the car and took various 'hits" while driving. The unit, when turned on high, would barely put out any cold air and had to be aimed right at your face to feel it. Do you still have the car?
72super

Post by 72super »

haha, no I sold that car to a vw guy as a parts car in 2006.
Faltoga

Post by Faltoga »

Ok. Boy, did that bring back some memories! I was in the service at Norton AFB in San Bernardino California, when I bought it. I was 21 years old at the time. That Air Conditioner was a HUGE disappointment. I remember thinking how cool it was to have a bug with A/C. That was the first year that anybody offered AC for a bug. I used to drive down the road cussing at the AC unit and the dealer that sold me the car!
72super

Post by 72super »

lol, good thing I didn't waste any time trying to get that working again! :lol:
Buggin_74

Post by Buggin_74 »

Faltoga wrote: That was the first year that anybody offered AC for a bug.
It was around a few years before 69.
There's a 65 with dealer fitted a/c on TheSamba with a thread about it and a few other early bugs but with not much info.
1974 Germanlook 1303 Suba-Beetle
Subaru EJ25 Boost R 17", 4 Wheel discs, Topline suspension and A/C
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

With a modern compressor and particularly a modern style parallel flow/multipass condenser setup in good airflow, the old under-dash units have a reasonable>good chance of finally working if they clean up well.
(The new style high efficiency condensers are almost required for 134A to work properly)

Some things got a LOT better in the last 35 years.

OTOH you can buy a new under dash unit for ~$100 with a modern evaporator and new expansion valve etc. that looks ~just as retro, but actually works GOOD.

YMMV.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.