BEST STEREO SETUP

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
mxz583

BEST STEREO SETUP

Post by mxz583 »

I have a '74 VW Super Beetle. I want to keep it stock and not chop it up. What would be the best speaker setup for the small space behind the rear seat. And any suggestions for somehow puting speakers in the front without have to cut into the door or choping it up. Thanks
2002sportside

Post by 2002sportside »

For the front you can do kick panels. Most VW places sell them. For the back I made a box for a single 10" sub with a shelf for a pair of 6.5 components. Everything will come right out fairly easily if I change my mind later on.
Dasdubber

Post by Dasdubber »

If you ask anyone who knows something about car audio, they will tell you the most important component of a system is the front stage (speakers at the front) - so spending your money on a good set of splits (say 6.5in woofer and separate tweeter) to go into either pre-fabbed kick panels (fibreglass best) or make your own (not too hard) is most important.

Having the sound coming from in front is critical for a system to sound "good" - you don't go to a concert/gig and watch the band but have all the speakers at the back....nor do you watch TV with no sound from in front and speakers positioned behind you.

IF you were against speakers up front, a pair of two way 6x9s in the back running off the headunit is a basic start (and cheapest). The 6x9s will provide some bass and the incorporated "tweeter" will provide some of the higher frequencies.

Next step up and something that would provide a noticable difference would be to run a sub in a sealed enclosure behind the rear seat (ideally run off an amp)....in unison with a pair of splits up front.....NO 6x9s required then because the sub provides the bass. This setup of course will cost more $$ and time to install.....so the choice is ultimately yours.

See this link for my "in progress" audio installation in my 63 beetle:
http://www.netspot4u.com/~manxclub/gallery/album221

I'm in the process of making the custom kick panels now:
Cometat4

Post by Cometat4 »

I think best setup is
Front: 5.25" Components up front with tweeter seperated, and external crossovers bridge correctly, inserted into fiberglass kick panels, and cover with carpet

Rear: 6x9" in seperate sealed boxes, two or three way speaker would be amazing pointing upwards to bounce the music off the rear window, and then use a subwoofer/amp setup to do the rest

Subwoofer: 10" for bass for like rap, 12" for loudness and bass like hard rock, running around 400-600 watts is plunty for the little bug, box I prefer a sealed box with speaker pointing towards seat, pointing up with take sun abuse, and ported box's don't really have much room for air movement, bandpass box's are nice, but take more knowledge of speakers, and amplifiers to dile in to the correct soundwaves

If you put dyno matt behind the door panels, on the floor, and on the fire walls your sound quality and loudness inside the car will greatly increase

Head Unit (I like to store mine away in the glove compartment) you should get a 4 x50 watt system with at least one set of external outputs for your amp.

Do it right the first time and go name brand, Alpine, Pioneer, MTX, Polk all carry warranties and service departent will work with you on installation and any questions

Hope that helps, any questions just ask
Troy_Audio

Post by Troy_Audio »

REAR SPEAKERS SUCK!!!
leave the rear for your sub unless you can get it in the front..
Kick panles Like Dubs are the best way to go..
Checkout his install its top notch.
if all you want in sound do what ever you want if you want the best music you can try to image the speakers & set it up take your time & ask ask ask for more info..
6x9's suk
it dose not matter what size your sub is for what music you lison to..
the box needs to be designd for what you want..
Sealed/ported...
For some more info try a few other forums like
http://www.elitecaraudio.com/
http://forum.sounddomain.com/

Peace Troy